Hit the Earth like a comet – invasion!
Nas was just boasting like most rappers tend to do on their debut album, but in retrospect he really did shake up and surprise the rap game like a comet crashing down to Earth out of the blue.
- By rapping over beats by Large Professor, DJ Premier, Pete Rock and Q-Tip, Nas steered rappers away from having one producer do the beats for their entire album
- Illmatic invigorated East Coast hip-hop after West Coast releases like The Chronic and Doggystyle started to steal the spotlight
- Biggie stole the concept of Illmatic’s cover for Ready to Die
- AZ got a record deal for his guest verse on “Life’s a Bitch”
- He became the first guest artist to appear on a Wu-Tang track — “Verbal Intercourse”
- And he helped pioneer the mafioso genre that would become very popular on albums like 36 Chambers and Reasonable Doubt
To help improve the meaning of these lyrics, visit “It Ain't Hard to Tell” by Nas Lyrics and leave a comment on the lyrics box