Had a fire in my heart
And a dire desire to aspire
Em is referring to his passion for rap and urgent desire to be succesful. No amount of criticism and doubt could stop him from aspiring to become a successful rapper when he was coming up, despite the fact the odd were stacked against him.
Em really shows off his technical ability in these bars, packing in multiple literary devices from “with whitewalls” until “Die Hard”. We see two instances each of alliteration and consonance, plus one of assonance (the trinity of competition!), all in a bar and a half.
- “W-” alliteration/consonance: with, whitewall (two in one).
- “H-” alliteration: had, heart, Hard.
- Hard “-I-” assonance: fire, my, dire, desire, aspire, Die.
- “-R-” consonance: fire, heart, dire, desire, aspire, Hard.
- Hard “-I-”, hard “-R-” rhymes: “my heart”, “Die Hard”.
To help improve the meaning of these lyrics, visit "Rhyme or Reason" by Eminem Lyrics and leave a comment on the lyrics box