• DO say something interesting
Make your annotations interesting!
This really is the golden rule. Most editors will fix your typos and even add links to your annotations if you give them something worth reading. There are all kinds of ways to pimp your annotations. Here are a few ideas:
- go factual
- go funny
- analyze the rhyme scheme
- break down the multiple meanings
- give some background on the lyrics: are they an homage to a forgotten classic
- were they straight jacked from another song
- have they entered the Hip Hop lexicon
- did they spark a beef
Whatever approach you take, try to provide some insight into the lyrics rather than just rewording them. Like RZA said, go into the context beyond the text.
Finally, if you can’t write something that you would be genuinely interested to read, then please don’t write anything. Not everything needs to be annotated! Think quality not quantity.
To help improve the meaning of these lyrics, visit “Contributor Guidelines” by Rap Genius Editors Lyrics and leave a comment on the lyrics box