• DO say something interesting
The 1st Commandment of Rap Genius: make your explanations interesting!
This really is the golden rule. Most editors will fix your typos and even add links to your explanations if you give them something worth reading. There are all kinds of ways to pimp your explanations. Here are a few ideas:
- go factual
- go funny
- analyze the rhyme scheme
- break down the multiple meanings
- compare and contrast themes with other songs from that artist, region or genre
- give some background on the lyrics: are they a homage to a forgotten classic
- were they straight jacked from another song
- have they entered the Hip Hop lexicon
- did they spark a beef
And if you can’t write something that you would be genuinely pleased to read then don’t write it. Think quality not quantity.
To help improve the meaning of these lyrics, visit "Rap Genius for Beginners" by Rap Genius Editors Lyrics and leave a comment on the lyrics box