I am the truest; name a rapper that I ain't influenced
This can reference many things (blatant or indirectly):
- How Illmatic reoriented rap towards gritty East Coast — sounds, and away from West Coast gangster stylings.
- Before Reasonable Doubt, Jay-Z had a fast paced flow. Nas is saying Jay stole his style of rapping.
- Multiple producers on an album.
- How Jay-Z sampled his songs on his first two albums.
- How Biggie stole the concept of his album cover.
- How he got AZ a record deal with one guest verse.
- How he was the first guest artist on a Wu-Tang track.
- How he was the first to “sing” on his own songs.
- How he was one of the first practitioners of mafioso rap.
- How “I Gave You Power” inspired “Me and My Girlfriend”, “Bonnie and Clyde 97” and (unfortunately) “Bonnie and Clyde 03"
Basically saying that he’s the one that has proved himself to be worthy of his position of King of NY more than anyone (and certainly more than Jay-Z). Also by the truest he could mean he hasn’t lost his street roots and hasn’t crossed over to the mainstream to make more money. Like Jay Z did with for instance “Sunshine”.
To help improve the meaning of these lyrics, visit "Ether" by Nas Lyrics and leave a comment on the lyrics box