MaxwellingtonPads Reviews: Flatbush Zombies - DRUGS

Hello young rap genius’s, today I will be reviewing the debut project of the group that is Flatbush Zombies. This is my first ever review!

Before I get into this review, I would like to state that if you listen to these guy’s and you’re straight edge, you might not have as good a time listening to them as you would high.

Flatbush Zombies Consists of two members, Meechy Darko and Juice, (three if you count Erick Arc Elliot.) Out of the two members Meechy strikes me with more personality than Juice. I think this because Meechy Darko has two solo songs on this project, when Juice has 0.

Face-Off was an amazing track which completely shows us a day in the life of Meechy Darko, and what he likes to do with his spare time. Not to mention the Bath Salts News Report Sample. I love it. While the wordplay isn’t anything special, I think this track is completely centered around personality and flow, like this line:

Kush and codeine now I lean like the Italy
Tower of Pisa nigga, a pretty diva with us

Another song that stood out to me was Jupiter Sound, which I thought had one of the most eerie sounds, but also one of the most relaxing sounds. Kilo Kish’s vocal’s fit well with the beat and the verses mixed with singing sound on point.

Ever make love in a casket?

All the time Meechy, All the time. :)

Another great song was the Intro, Erick Arc Elliot really knows how to create a good horror beat which forces the MC to change up his flow at least once. As you can hear the drum roll change twice in each verse.

When I was young I fought authority
And reject religion, learned to see from every angle
Never regret decisions at times I feel like fuck religion
Because religion is division

The last song I would like to acknowledge is Chuch. Chuch is probably my favorite track on here. I love the production because it sounds so happy, and I think it wraps up the album pretty nicely. While Juice isn’t adding too much to this song other than talking about acid and guns, Meechy actually has some pretty clever wordplay:

Some say the proof is in books, some say the proof it is hidden
I bet Eminem and a reverend will tell you proof is in heaven

You know, Proof? D12?

The flaws in this album aren’t on the production, but rather the subject matter over some of the production. The main song I have an issue with is The Fun Song. The Fun Song’s beat sounds like it should be some eerie, gritty subject matter, but instead it’s just weed and hoes. But, because of the beat, and I still listen to it, I gave it a 3/5.

Anyways, while I did focus more on Meechy Darko on this project, I think Juice has great potential to shine. And Erick Arc Elliot’s beats were always on point. Personally, I think this group shines more when they are talking about horror shit rather than drugs. And I think that they could use to find more subject matter, but overall I think this is a solid project. And I can’t wait to see these guy’s live on Monday!

Intro: 4/5
Breakfast At ePiffanies: 3/5
Mary, Nothing Above Thee: 5/5
Al Bundy: 3/5
S.O.S.C.A: 2.5/5
Remember, I Got Money 1.5/5
Laker Paper: 4/5
The Fun Song: 3/5
Jupiter Sound ft. Kilo Kish 5/5
Thug Waffle: 3.5/5
YBA: 2.5/5
Face-Off (L.S.Darko): 4.5/5
Friday: 4.5/5
Drama ft. Kaya: 3/5
Devil & Us: 4/5
Chuch: 4.5/5

72/100

Favorite Songs: Mary, Nothing Above Thee, Jupiter Sound, Face-Off, Friday, Chuch

Peace yall!

August 29th, 2012

Feedback plz?

August 29th, 2012

The format is great. Your Shit was spot on. Do more!

August 29th, 2012

I ballparked my rating around the same thing, about 7-7.5. It wasn’t great but I’ll give it a spin every so often. “YBA” was one of my favorite tracks though. .

August 29th, 2012

Did you write this while stoned/rolling/coked up

August 29th, 2012

^ I wrote it while I was crashing off that Blue Cheese Kush.

August 29th, 2012

Of the two, I’d say I like Juice better.
He has a nasty ass flow.

And plus… that beard.

August 29th, 2012

What could I do better in my next one?

August 29th, 2012

I think you should use less generic adjectives, like when you describe a beat as ‘happy’ I would have liked to hear something more specific.
And I would like to know what you think their intended aims were in making this mixtape, and whether or not it measures up to that;
rating every individual song seems pointless, an overall score seems more than enough [I would argue even that is unnecessary, but that’s just me];
what does this album say about their social environment?
what does their insistence on certain subject matter say about them?

a lot of these suggestions are general, but they apply to Flatbush Zombies especially.

December 19th, 2012

I fux with “Thug Waffle”.

December 19th, 2012

bosco, good review, do more!

December 19th, 2012

really? YBA only gets a 2.5? Thats the dopest song on the whole mixtape.

December 29th, 2012

Dope review mayne! Keep up the good work

December 29th, 2012

A beat isnt “supposed” to sound like it should have specific lyrics to it, if that were the case, then Rap would be pretty shallow in terms of creativity

December 29th, 2012

I feel you MF_DESTRO… BUT, let’s not forget, there are sub-genres of Hip-Hop that entirely rely on the direction of the beat, so it’s not far-fetched to expect certain lyrics on any given beat as well. THAT SAID, I still agree with you. There shouldn’t be a box.

December 29th, 2012

I like the format of the review and I personally don’t mind the ratings for each song. The only thing I would recommend is a strong concluding paragraph to summarize the feel of the whole tape, any personal suggestions you feel could be beneficial to their improvement to you, things of that nature.

Regardless, this is something better than what I could write and this is your first review and you were testing the waters. Dope stuff overall, can’t wait to see another review from you.

December 29th, 2012