who is the worst raper ever? drake
Idea for a rapper-promoting website
I wanna create a website where I post videos from unsigned rappers that I think are talented, to promo...
Well this is a little suprising
If you could have a one hour talk with ANY rapper, who would you choose?
Title^ 50 Cent or T.I. for me. hustlenomics at their finest
Man I could dance to this song
This song is just too dope! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrLXDYnS6c
BTI:End Of Week Sales
Don’t Care If It’s been posted I’m putting on for my 2nd fav rapper He eating He doing the damn thing ...
How SDVG reveals a sexist RG community
SDVG has been doing a lot of the usual controversial postings that she always has, but the responses n...
What's so great about Kendrick Lamar?
I’m not a hater and I’m not saying he’s bad. I just personally think the hype surrounding him about ho...
IF YOU DISAGREE THEN YOU ARE A 13 YEAR OLD JUSTIN BEIBER STAN WITH A GERBIL THAT YOU PUT UP YOUR ASS
who has woat name @crimsonfloydzappa69
Trying this again - Cruz (14 year old rapper)
I made a thread about an hour ago, but it got ruined by some dumbass. I’m a rapper from Indianapolis, ...
Ether came out 12 years ago today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePQKD9iBfU RELIVE THE MOMENT WHEN NAS DESTROYED JAY Z’S SOUL!!!
Fuck…this be for them people who are struggling in school, sick of a class, or sick of useless homewor...
New Grayskul track FT Aesop Rock "Not Going Anywhere"
Best music to work out to?
Idk that much but I read that songs between 110 and 140 bpm are the best. ANY GENRE IS ALLOWED
Your religion, and your music(a civil thread).
I just want to learn more about the Rap Genius community, not try to start a big uproar. I think there was a thread somewhat like this a while ago, but not that satisfactory to me. Don’t down-vote people just because you don’t agree with them, down-vote them for ignorant posts. Explaining your choices isn’t mandatory, but it’s preferred to help discussion.
Your religion(or lack thereof)
what is a song centering around or referencing religion that you don’t like, whether you agree with it or not?
what is a song centering around or referencing religion that you like, whether you agree with it or not?
I’ll go first
Sandwiches — Tyler, the Creator ft. Hodgy Beats
I just can’t listen to Hodgy Beat’s verse on this, especially where he said “fuck church”. I get that they are outspoken artists, and are very shock value, but i just feel he could of gone about it a better way. Not really complaining, just explaining why I don’t like it.
Holy Smokes — Aesop Rock
I like this song because Aesop shares my views on the hypocrisy of the catholic church, what he points out is some of what made me give up on organized religion.
Honorable mention goes to Count Bass D on Potholderz
What about you guys?
Yeah good luck with that
- Agnostic Atheist
No songs I can really think of.
B.I.B.L.E. by Killah Priest for 3. to an extent.
- idk, can’t think of one
- Kanye West — Jesus Walks
- Born and raised Catholic but I’d say I’m currently somewhere in between spiritual deism and Catholicism. But I’m still a teenager so I’m pretty sure I really don’t know anything at all.
French by Tyler, The Creator feat. Hodgy Beats
I get that they dislike religion and everything and I generally don’t give a fuck but when Tyler says “and fuck Mary in her ass” I don’t know if it’s just the inner Catholic in me or something but I cringe and even feel a little sick every time. I have no problems with the rest of the song or any of their work, but that one line gets me every time.
- Honeslty don’t have anything for this, maybe I’ll think of something later.
- Sacreligious — schoolboy q
Fuck, how can I even describe this. I was raised in a Pagan/Wiccan household (though it converted to Christian Science at some point) and my dad got into Hinduism and Buddhism after my parents divorced, so I grew up with all that around me. Later I studied New Thought texts and 5 Percenter ideas. So my spiritual beliefs are…complicated. Let’s just call em that.
To be honest, I rarely give that many fucks. I can listen to angry atheist dudes rap about being angry atheists and it doesn’t bother me.
Closest thing I can think of is We All Try, which isn’t exactly religious but it’s a song I deeply fuckin' agree with.
Matisyahu mutha fuckas
- Agnostic but lean towards Taoism
- Don’t like songs that just disrespect religion blantently
- Like Holy Smokes by Aesop Rock, Flyentology by El-P and this poem…
- Jehovah’s Witness
- Sadly, a lot of OF songs. When Hodgy always mentions “666” and Tyler always says he hates church and all of that, I just can’t finish the song. Although I’m not a Christian technically and JW’s don’t use a cross, it’s STILL disrespectful as hell to wear an upside-down cross. And to add to that, they wear clothes with “666” all over it. Not cool. The only member I can get completely behind is Frank Ocean and Earl Sweat. at times.
- Any Childish Gambino song. Specifically, ones talking about childhood. Mostly because he grew up just like me. A nerdy, JW, black kid trying to make his own way in the world. Going against what everyone else is doing and just plain being yourself.
I’m not intolerant — hell, one of my closest friends is an atheist — but I think that EVERYONE can draw a line at a point. My atheist and agnostic friends don’t run around yelling “666” “Devil” “God doesn’t exist” “F* Church” etc. So, when I see someone — or in this case hear someone saying this, I won’t allow myself to deal with that.
I hate this quote from some song by Hodgy: “Ask for shit and God didn’t answer/ So God is the cancer,” or something along those lines. Sad that a lot of people turn away from my faith from 1) people that say they’re Christians but live in a completely different way or try to force the Word on people, and 2) thinking that Christianity is something you only rely on when you want something and using it as an emergency button.
Faith by Kendrick Lamar. This song really changed my mindset about faith in certain situations better than any worship song at a worship service.
not specific songs but certain OF lines, even though I’m an atheist (a recently converted one) they still bug me
B.I.B.L.E. by Killah Priest
1) I’m a Christian, proud to say it. Although I do not consider it a religion by any means. Unlike many “Christians” I am not a judgmental douche who runs around damning people to a “hell” for not believing the same way that I believe. I believe in a God that loves everyone in this world so much that he sent his son, Jesus Christ to die a death that each of us deserved, ultimately so that we could have life and develop a relationship with this “God.” I believe in the Bible and many doctrines in it, however, I am not a religious person. The Bible doesn’t really say “do this or you’ll go to hell.” It gives good moral foundation for people to develop their own lifestyles off of. Yes, I go to church but not because the Bible says I have to (which it doesn’t) I do it because I want to, and I feel like I need to. Same way with reading the Bible, praying, etc. Also, belief in a non-judgmental, unconditionally loving God is a good venting mechanism, believing in something that you can literally speak to and pour everything on without fear that they will tell someone, or judge you, is nice. Call me crazy, that’s your opinion. :)
Also, I have a bit of a disdain for organized religion. Looking at it across the world, people like Westboro Baptist, Islamic extremists, etc. pretty much disgust me. I’m all about peace and love.
2) I can listen to and do listen to pretty much anything. I listen to OFWGKTA because normally I like Tyler’s production and they have some clever lyrics. @ the OP, Sandwitches is not a song I’m particularly fond of, not strictly because of Hodgy Beats' verse but moreso because the hook is stupid. “Wolf gang, wolf gang, triple six crew, wolf gang, wolf gang, wolf gang, golf wang.” I can’t stand it. The song is just too long. I listen to Atheist/Non-“religious” rappers and I listen to Christian rappers and I listen to other atheist non-hip-hop artists and Christian artists. Occasionally I’ll hear a lyric about Christianity in a rapper’s song, possibly where they’re dissing it, or just speaking on it, and it makes me say “Wow, that’s extremely uneducated and stupid of them to say.” But that doesn’t ruin the song for me.
Like if you look at some Vinnie Paz solo songs or Jedi Mind Tricks songs occasionally Vinnie will throw out a lyric about Christians that really isn’t 100% correct. (Then again, the guy is never really spot on.) Also, he has his own religious philosophy which views Christianity in a negative aspect anyway, making him a bit biased regardless.
Also, Catholicism isn’t equal to Christianity in every aspect, just because people of the Catholic faith believe in a “God” similar to the God that Christians not of the Catholic denomination believe in does not mean we are all like that. Actually, most Christians of other denominations denounce Catholicism, not even really considering it a denomination of Christianity.
Furthermore, I am not any denomination (Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, etc, etc.) I am just a Christian.
3) Sorry for getting sidetracked in the last paragraph(s). Probably a song I really like that speaks on religion is the Genius GZA’s B.I.B.L.E. with Killah Priest. And Kanye’s Never Let Me Down with Jay-Z and J. Ivy, it’s not really speaking about religion, but more about it being how God never leaves people. So to speak.
God is love. Yep. I think I’m done.
it’s STILL disrespectful as hell to wear an upside-down cross.
Funny thing is the upside down cross isn’t really a genuine satanic symbol but actually the personal trademark of Saint Peter, the first Pope, and one of the most revered figures in Catholic tradition. He was said to have requested to be crucified upside down because he didn’t feel worthy of dying the same way as Jesus. By wearing an upside-down cross, of are unwittingly showing humility before Christ.