Help me out! (beat making)

Massology's photo

I wanna start making beats. what i wanna make is something Nas(illmatic) would spit on, ( a 90s Feel? idk boombap?)
I have FL Studio producer edition
(should i start off with something different?)

and no real knowledge on how to use it

i have installed a couple kits.

Give me some pointers? not really going to buy any equipment until i get super serious about this.

Should i start with trying to copy beats? and then try out random shit?
idk HELP :D

Thanks in advance negus.

October 3rd, 2012
Klonopin's photo

Learning how to produce takes a while, and there’s really no direction I can give you beyond:

1. Make sure you have good drum kits.

2. Get Reason, Ableton or Pro Tools (depending on what system you use) once you learn the basics of producing.

3. Put a lot of effort into it. You aren’t going to become proficient overnight, and I promise you half the stuff you make is going to suck. Just keep at it.

October 3rd, 2012
Massology's photo

Do you know anything about Sampling or how that works?

October 3rd, 2012

Protools is trash for producing.. FL is ok but pretty much sucks too.. get Logic or Ableton (ableton is like a digital mpc real good for sampling)

but pretty much if you want a 90’s illmatic flow focus on a heavily compressed kick drum n a hard grimey snare that follows the boom bap boom boom bap format (boom being the kick bap being the snare) throw in a couple dope samples to add ambience n a bass line n you got a 90s beat.. really wanna take it over the top throw in some scratching

October 3rd, 2012
TheShah's photo

Start experimenting. You’ll learn.

October 3rd, 2012

TBH, I work straight out of FL Studio, and a lot of people have told me that it doesn’t sound like I use FL because everything sounds so clean.

It’s not as much about the system as the producer.

For a Nas feel, you’re gonna want to listen to iSpeakHipHop. I co-sign his post.

October 3rd, 2012
Massology's photo

im going to try out ableton. any other tips?

October 3rd, 2012
Massology's photo

bump?

October 3rd, 2012
Femi Jaye's photo

keep at it, find ur style, listen to music ALOT MORE THAN U DO NOW, be different don’t make generic stuff

October 3rd, 2012
Femi Jaye's photo

by alot more i mean different genre’s not jut hip hop, u can inspiration from any genre, Kanyes stronger was darf punk (electric techno for example)

October 3rd, 2012
Kaali's photo

a) Learn some basics of music theory. Tempos, time signatures, note lengths, intervals, keys, scales, etc.
B) Decide on a Digital Audio Workstation and stick with it. Google’s a good place to start. It doesn’t have to be the “best” or anything. Just get a trial, learn the basics, see if it suits you, and try another one. But once you figure out which one you like, STICK TO IT! It’s pretty important that you get good at it.
c) Get a midi controller (a keyboard which inputs notes into softwares likes Logic/ProTools/etc) and play around with it on your DAW. It’ll be a nice introduction to VSTs and a practice in practical application of your musical knowledge too.
d) Check out some basic songwriting and beatmaking tutorials. Songwriting is very important.
e) Once you’ve done those things you can look into sampling and then move on to more specific hip-hop production/beatmaking techniques.

Other general tips are to check out basic tutorials on youtube. Search “beatmaking fl studio” or “beatmaking ableton” or “hiphop beat tutorial”. Also start reading up on random hiphop production and beatmaking articles online. Look at everything as objectively as possible and just try to amass info. Also, most importantly: have fun. Once you’ve figured out your DAW and gotten your music theory basics down you’ll be surprised how much fun just experimenting and trying new things can be in beatmaking. It’s a great way too learn too!

Anyways, good luck!

October 3rd, 2012
Massology's photo

but what is a Daw

October 4th, 2012
Massology's photo

oh digital audio workstation

October 4th, 2012
BlackPhan's photo

I’ll bump for you, cause I need this advice too.

October 4th, 2012

I sample using Logic Pro. I rigged it so when i press / it chops up the beat

October 4th, 2012