Topics for Rogerian Style Essay

First off, I don’t like writing essays.
Second, this is due on Thursday at 11:59 pm (EST)
Third, it has to be 3-4 pages, not including a bibliography
Fourth, I need some unique topic ideas, and if anybody has written one, some advice, since I’m not used to these at all.

Here’s the assignment

Rogerian essays are meant to help opposing sides come to conclusions they can both agree on. The style is understanding, considerate and moves from common ground to a reasonable compromise.

For your assignment, you are to choose a topic and use the Rogerian method to help opposing sides compromise within that topic. You may use the same subject as your Annotated Bibliographies or Toulmin essays (if you so desire) or start fresh with a new subject.

Remember that there are no enemies in this style of writing and no one side “wins.” You have to work with the opposing side and try to make them understand your views without offending them. It isn’t what you say but how you say it that makes Rogerian style work.

Research is an essential component of a good, written argument and will be necessary in this paper. Find and use at least two accredited sources to back up your ideas. In-text citations and a works cited page will be necessary.

Your essay should show mastery in the following topics:

• Rogerian tone
  • Rogerian compromise
  • Accredited research
  • MLA style and citations
  • Evidence of careful proofreading
November 6th, 2012

LOL it’s due Thursday and you don’t have a topic?

You’re fucked.

November 6th, 2012

^Exactly why I’m trying to get one, quickly lol

November 6th, 2012

desperation bump

November 6th, 2012

Are you basically writing it as a negotiator kinda?

November 6th, 2012

Not exactly, but sort of. I’m supposed to take one side and try to explain it in a manner where it wouldn’t be offensive to the other side, and then come to an agreement based off of that argument

November 6th, 2012

aight umm
You could write it from Martin Luther’s side and try to come to an agreement with the Catholic Church

November 6th, 2012

Yo… that’s ridiculous man haha. I never would have thought of going back in time to do something that had already happened.

I was aiming for something more current (that way, more information would be easily available), and non cliche (like abortion, etc.)

November 6th, 2012

lol yeah I figured

I’m shit at current events

you could do one from the US to Iraq before the first war when they invaded Kuwait. It’s mostly relevant, there will be tons of info on it and it’s current while still not being overdone.

November 6th, 2012
November 6th, 2012
Beanhead's photo

^that site is insane. I typed in malcolm x and got ‘Truly X?
The Modern Malcolm X : A Normative Critique. ’ WTF does that even mean? Good find though Ted.

Malcolm vs Martin. Done.

November 6th, 2012

Thanks for all the help guys. I’m gonna fail though lol.

November 6th, 2012
Beanhead's photo

dude it is tuesday- honestly you could do it. You will not get a good mark but you could pass.

November 6th, 2012

I mean I guess you’re right. I have a 96 in the class, but if I don’t do this, I’ll have an 87 (I calculated that shit; I’m way better at math)

November 6th, 2012
Beanhead's photo

i am not American — what is a 96? it is good?

November 6th, 2012