Why is DOOM so overlooked?

AKang's photo

I realize that on this forum and a maybe a few others recognize DOOM’s genius but I have never seen him on a “Greatest MC’s” or “Top 50 MC’s” type of article from any site. It just seems like although the overall consensus is that DOOM is an amazing rapper, he is overlooked almost all the time.

With all the critical acclaim he receives and his overall recognition in the hip hop community, why does he continue to be overlooked?
Is it because he is less known and therefore cannot compare to “legends” like Nas or Tupac or Jay-Z?

November 16th, 2012

Pretty much. I’ve also heard people complain about his voice and flow being awkward (though I’d thoroughly disagree, and I’ve only heard a handful of songs, so it’s not like I’m a Stan), so that might be part of it.

November 16th, 2012

He’s not overlooked. he just isn’t as good as you think he is. boring beats, boring flow, ugly voice, dumb gimmicks (mask? lol. costume rappers thats some ICP-type shit).

November 16th, 2012
AKang's photo

It gets old SDVG

November 16th, 2012

shut the fuck up you fucking hip hop hipster elitist “look @ me guiz i soooo underground n eleet lul” moron. not everybody has the same BORING taste in hip hop as you. i dont like rappers who think they are cartoon characters unlike you. go suck a dick.

November 16th, 2012

Doom’s actually a good rapper, but yet even though he has this “gimmick” he raps better than every single person you listen to on the radio

November 16th, 2012
AKang's photo

look @ me guiz i soooo underground n eleet lul

November 16th, 2012

November 16th, 2012

But really I gotta agree with SDVG to some extent…cringe…beats are interesting IMO but also kinda esoteric..his delivery is pretty static and in a lot of cases is tough to listen to for me. Don’t think his flow is good at all but a lot of that is due to his odd beats. And theres a good chance he’s batshit crazy…the mask and antics are too much. Definitely an acquired taste

I think he’s cool but I think a lot of his stans are obsessed with his mystique and gimmick more than the MC himself

November 16th, 2012
Skizza306's photo

Personally, for all his technical ability I have never really had an emotional reaction to an MF Doom song

November 16th, 2012
FrankieIII's photo

See, I can agree with you, SinnersRemorse because you aren’t being a raging cunt about a rap opinion.

You’re bitter as fuck, SDVG. Why do you even bother?

November 16th, 2012

I dont fucks with Doom to be honest.

November 16th, 2012

@Skizza exactly, just..boring really…the most excited I ever got by an Doom song was when I heard that song “Hey!” with all the Scooby Doo references..cuz you know..Scooby Doo is the shit.

@Frankie dude just gets off by getting a rise out of people..GOAT troll I’ve ever encountered tbr and has rustled my jimmies way too much in the short period I’ve fucked with this forum…just ignore it. Gets no respect anyway

November 16th, 2012
Beanhead's photo

I like mf Doom. I think he is unique- has great technique and rhymes. BUT i can see why people don’t like him. He voice barely gets off the floor and drags horribly.

November 16th, 2012
M1C's photo

he is pretty overrated if you ask me.

not too many songs from him, i can fuck with

November 16th, 2012