How many classics albums does Eminem really have in your opinion?

J0RD4N's photo

I’ve heard users say 0 up to 4 or 5?
As a former huge Eminem stan, I can truly say I believe he has 3: SSLP, MMLP, and TES. They all embodied the fire, passion, lyricism, and variety of Eminem.
How many classics do you believe Eminem has released?

December 5th, 2012
Huf's photo

You’re only saying he has 3 classics because you’re a stan.

Talk to any hiphop head or hiphop listener who isn’t an Em stan and they’ll be indifferent towards whether or not he has a classic.

“Classic” gets thrown around so much these days. “Classic” is something that everyone must acknowledge, it’s not subjective or based on preferences if it’s being taken in a general sense. “GOAT” on the other hand, is preference.

December 5th, 2012
KJones77's photo

I’d say 2; MMLP and TES. SSLP was a great major label debut, but I don’t feel like it’s classic “material”. Otherwise, nothing he has is classic material.

December 5th, 2012
J0RD4N's photo

Dilla, I was a former stan, I won’t lie.. however no.. I just personally believe he has three. You’ll never have something that everyone must acknowledge.. it is still a preference thing. How can a GOAT album (Somewhat similar to saying a classic album, be any different than a GOAT artist?) I just asked for others opinions and thoughts, not to get bashed for mine.

And I agree SSLP wasn’t on par with MMLP or TES, but the fact that it was a major label debut record and his first real chance at rap kind of throws it up there for me

December 5th, 2012

From a straight up musical perspective, none. The production just isn’t good enough to replay, regardless of what Em is doing on the mic. If you put impact into the equation, you can probably convince me he has 1.

December 5th, 2012

I think the only album that really comes close as a complete statement is MMLP. It’s the most focused in terms of lyrics and production and probably had the greatest cultural impact of any of his albums. I don’t know if people really take that into effect when thinking about classics, but a lot fo the albums we deem classic are usually accompanied by some sort of cultural significance whether it’s within the hip-hop community or the wider American community. I think MMLP definitely hits that criteria, and Em’s rapping is so generally spectacular throughout that it makes up (in my ears) for occasionally lesser production (as with Ras Kass' “Soul on Ice”).

December 5th, 2012
Shaneee's photo

December 5th, 2012

I’d say that MMLP is definitely a classic or can be considered a classic by many. Personally, I don’t see an argument for the other albums.

December 5th, 2012

2 at most if any.

Encore was when he started to fall off and relapse, refill, recovery suck donkey dick.

hopefully he redeems himself with his next album.

December 5th, 2012
Lemson's photo

December 5th, 2012

Here’s Lemson again, commenting on a thread dealing with Eminem, even though she hates him with a passion.

December 5th, 2012

Marshall Mathers > Slim Shady > Eminem Show/Infinite/Relapse imo

December 5th, 2012

Recovery is a personal classic to me. However, I wouldn’t consider it a classic because it catches so much hate. Classics are fairly universally loved. If you’re asking me about MY classics, then Recovery is on that list. But in general, I wouldn’t say it is a classic. So probably 2.

^If that makes any sense.

December 5th, 2012
J0RD4N's photo

It makes sense, that’s actually what I was aiming for with this thread.
And just ‘cause Lemson hates Eminem, that doesn’t take away the right to post.

December 5th, 2012
Cujo's photo

he’s got, like, this many

fucking shit ton

December 5th, 2012