Free Advice for All Aspiring Rappers

Tyrosine's photo

I realize I’m a nobody, but I do believe I know a thing or two about what makes a good rapper. Here are 5 things you should know before posting your crappy music on this site:

1) We can see through your facades- We know you are not copping a heater, pushing work, or getting hoes, so stop pretending like you are. Be yourself and act graciously about it and we are 100 times more likely to embrace your music

2) Spend some time working on your music- Do not post something here that you wrote in 10 minutes, because guess what, it sounds like you wrote it in 10 minutes. Work on your flow and mic presence because you can have the greatest lyrics in the world, but if you are not matching your words with the beat it ruins the whole experince.

3) Find some quality recording equipment- Heck Audacity is even a good service to use if you are in a bind financially. Learn how to improve the quality of your recordings and most of us will be able to listen for more than 10 seconds

4) Be open to criticism- If you are advertising your music on this site you are not the world’s greatest rapper. Understand that even the Tupac’s and Biggie’s of the world had to take criticism from people before making it big. Instead of getting mad at criticism and saying you are the greatest ever, take what everyone is saying and try to make your raps better

5) Don’t quit- Some of us, including me, may seem like jerks when we criticize your music, but realize that for the most part it is not because we hate you, but we know what type of music sounds good to us. Realize that our opinions are just that, and you are the only ones who can truly control your future.

So for all of you posting raps on these boards please follow these 5 criteria before saying you are the “GOAT”

January 12th, 2013

True that. And you know what? This type of advice is BETTER coming from a non-rapper. Rappers are too conceited and shit, but the LISTENER knows what they want to hear.

It’s like this… I’m not a filmmaker… but I know when a movie SUCKS. Same concept.

January 12th, 2013

I feel you.
I mean, there’s one or two elements of each that I could take apart and beef with, but I feel you.

January 12th, 2013