Marshall Mathers LP

Jcrice's photo

I just found this video on Youtube about the making and background of the album i think it was called “Ultimate Albums” But anyway my question is : Was the album really that controversial when it came out? It came out in ‘00 when i was 6 so i don’t remember. What was it like when it came out? What do you remember about it?

January 25th, 2013
Jcrice's photo

i know it angered GLAAD but not much else

January 25th, 2013

I think “Kill You” (track 2 off the album) got him banned from Canada or some shit like that.

January 25th, 2013

I was a teenager and when it dropped it was huge. The lines to buy it were very long (it went almost 2x platinum in the first week i think). Napster was already popular so a lot of the tracks on the album, if not all of them, were already online. Specifically, I remember there was a shitty, low quality version of “Kim” that I heard a couple of months before the album dropped, I kind of preferred that version tbr. One of my friends had the album a week before it officially came out with the variant cover (Eminem in the alley with the blanket covering him). I would say it was more controversial for it’s violent and personal content (particularly, the stuff about his mother) than for Em’s usage of “faggot,” which was more of a mainstream media complaint. He received a lot of credit for “Stan,” which he deserved but a lot of the retards who loved him and hated rap acted like he reinvented the wheel with that song. I recall one dude (who worked for Spin I think) say on MTV that before Em, there wasn’t any storytelling in rap. That was infuriating and really highlighted, to me at least, that for a lot of people, Em was their White savior. These people didn’t care for Hip Hop until Em came out.

January 25th, 2013

@PlatanoPeddler Eminem is the Elvis Presley of rap, and that’s not a compliment or an insult.

January 25th, 2013
Nossay's photo

@PlatanoPeddler yeah it sold over 1m in the first week (holy shit that a shitload especially since it’s only his sophomore album but it’s really good so it makes sense) and yeah. It was probably most controversial album in front of The Slim Shady LP. And because Kim was so violent, Em made another song on the clean version of the album to replace it called “The Kids.” I believe it’s like the 2nd best selling rap album of all time and the fastest selling album in the first week of all time by a solo artist.

January 25th, 2013

The Marshall Mathers LP was also very controversial because Columbine just happened, and not only was Eminem catching heat over influencing the killers (obviously not all of it) as well as negatively influencing the youth with his cynical music, but also embracing the controversy by basically saying, “It’s the parent’s fault because they’re not doing a good job of controlling their kids, and I’m going to make my music more violent and more cynical just to fuck with people who pegged me as a villain as opposed to an artist.”

Along with that, it was a white guy calling men faggots. By the time The Marshall Mathers LP came out, people were already used to hearing dudes like Ice Cube use such derogatory terms, but Ice Cube wasn’t being listened to by the majority of teenage white girls in every Suburban and Middle Class Neighborhood in America.

In regards to what Platano said, the use of the word Faggot was a big deal, but he is right that it might have been blown up more-so just because it was a mainstream media catch. That being said, GLAAD was holding some big protests. (Or, according to this source, at least planning to.)

And also in regards to Platano, if he’s right about that Spin writer’s comments, I’m pissed off about it 13 years later. That “Great White Hope” shit still bothers me, because tons of people who say they don’t like Rap music still talk about loving Eminem. (Including my sister, whom my older brother borrowed the CD from and introduced me to Eminem’s music at nine years old.)

And now I feel really old now, even though I can’t justify that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AisONDi4dE

January 25th, 2013

There were protests against Eminem at the 2001 Grammy’s. I think that was the same year he performed with Elton John which is a famous performance now.

It was hilarious. All the parents hated Eminem but their kids were listening to him religiously. I got that album when I was 8. Big part of my childhood to be honest.

January 26th, 2013