Chamillionaire - Elevate (Review by R-ViceMAN)

Ryan Vice's photo

WHAT UP YO

I’m here to give you my second review on Chamillionaire’s newly released EP called Elevate. It came out on Feb 12th and is his first studio release since Ammunition

This is one of the multiple EPs he will be releasing which are supposed to serve as hype for his third studio album; Poison — which still has no release date at this current moment. Numerous posts on the official chamillionaire website suggest that the album could still be a fair way away. It is expected to drop this year.

Chamillionaire — Elevate

Review by R-ViceMAN

• Running Time — 35 m
  • Guest Appearences — None! (Ah the beauty of a solo album)
  • Label — Chamillitary Entertainment (Independent)
  • Album Art

Simple yet snazzy cover

Tracklisting
1. Elevate Produced by Tyler Keyes
2. Hold Up Produced by Natural Disaster
3. Slow loud and Banging Produced by Oli Smallz
4. Overnight Produced by Trakksounds
5. Bet you won’t Produced by Oli Smallz
6. Emotional Produced by J Glaze
7. Bullet Proof Produced by Oli Smallz

Elevate

The EP starts off with a very nolstagic feeling track. Cham spits over a simple soothing beat to give everyone a taste of his unique flow. He showcases his singing on a rather unsophisticated yet catchy hook.

If it’s 15 minutes of fame, where’s your minutes at?

I don’t have any complaints about this track however I don’t see myself having this one on replay too much. It’s a good track but nothing overly outstanding.

3.25/5

Hold Up

Synth inspired production with very nice bass makes me want to play this one in the car. Listening to this one through headphones though made the beat feel a tad repetitive towards the end of the song. The hook is alright, but I’ve heard better from Cham.

You could catch me in a foreign city where they don’t even know I rap

Lyrically Cham boasts about how his potent character makes people Hold Up wherever he goes regardless of whether or not people know about him.

Despite the creativity Chamillionaire was obviously striving for on this track I felt as though the production was not suited to his vocals and thus I don’t see myself replaying this song anytime soon.

I’m unsure as to why this was chosen as the promotion single for the EP as this for me was definitely one of the weaker songs.

2.75/5

Slow Loud and Banging

This song takes the cake as my favourite joint on the EP. Chamillionaire showcases his flow and utilizes his near-perfect singing vocals over some damn catchy guitar riffs.

Cause ya’ll the type that apply the brakes but know that I’m the type that ain’t tryna wait

Lyrically Cham gives us an insight into his motives in life and drops little pieces of advice to the listener. He also gives his thoughts on the current generation.

What the hell happened to Dr. Seuss and who taught these kids how to cock and shoot

The beat and his laid-back flow makes this a very relaxed joint. Chamillionaire proves that he is still perfectly capable of producing a hit that relies on his own set of well-established skills, rather than recruiting a big name guest feature to sing the hook or provide another verse.

4.75/5

Overnight

Cham spits over diverse slightly rock inspired production with fast-paced snares and reveals that he is able to keep up with the beat

Don’t expect help when it all fall through, everyone’ll tell you it’s all on you

Lyrically Cham raps about certain aspects of his career and how his success did not accumulate overnight — he has had to work hard to get where he is now.

Cham does a great job on merging his fast flow with singing to create a notable hook. Similar to S.L.A.B this was also one of the more enjoyable songs on the EP.

4/5

Bet you won’t

Bet you won’t sees Chamillionaire elaborating more on what isolates him from other artists over heavy production

If you ain’t got a real elevate CD, you need to come to chamillionaire.com and come and see me

With no hook Cham gives a pure dosage of his lyrical talent and flow.

Hit Brazil and take frequent trips
Groupies all on that freaky tip
Say goodnight and then take a flight
When I disappear you can’t keep a chip

The beat gives a menacing feel to the track, however it does not overshadow the effective verses by Cham.

Don’t have any real complaints about this one.

3.25/5

Emotional

Cham speaks about his past and current relationships and how they have made him wary of certain girls that can get a little too emotional at times

Can’t never let a groupie get to close to you, they always get a little too emotional

Really feelin' the beat on this. It sounds kind of different to the rest of the album. It’s the kind of beat that aligns really well with Cham’s flow and makes you want to pay attention to the lyrics.

I enjoy how Chamillionaire alternates between singing and rapping to keep the listener interested.

4/5

Bullet Proof

The last song on the EP, Bullet Proof sees Cham speaking about how he is inevitably ‘bullet proof’ to all the rumours, hate and temptations surrounding him

It seems like everybody’s aiming at ya when you number one

He alludes that prominence is why everybody is aiming at him.

While the track includes fine production and Chamillionaire giving a deep contemplation on his prosperity, this track just wasn’t for me. The hook felt slightly out of place and verses didn’t cater to my tastes, I felt as though it was slightly rushed compared to the other gems on here.

But then again, I’m sure many of ya’ll would thoroughly enjoy this one, just didn’t cater for my tastes.

2.75/5

Verdict

Altogether, I thoroughly enjoyed Elevate. It’s a rarity to see artists, particularly rappers, making completely solo albums that solely focus on the individual these days. So props to Cham for that.

As a stand alone MC there’s no denying that Chamillionaire does have a lot of natural talent, which was well incorporated into this project

The Good

• Very nice production
  • No guest features
  • Does a great job of establishing the natural talents he possesses
  • Lyrical topics

The bad

• Couple of tracks sounded slightly rushed
  • Didn’t experiment with anything out of his usual formula

While I am aware of the fact that Chamillionaire is certainly not for everyone, I do encourage you to check this out as you never know, you might like it!

Or atleast give Slow loud and Banging a listen.

And that concludes my review. Thanks for reading guys, really appreciate it! If you have given the EP a listen, please let me know what you thought of it below!

Feedback always welcome

• R ViceMAN
February 15th, 2013

Good review man, I’m writing a review on a mixtape right now. I’ll check this out when I’m done.

February 15th, 2013
ashtag2's photo

Based on all the song ratings, it is a 3.53/5.

I’ll be sure to check it out, nice review

February 15th, 2013

Good review but you should change your name to V-RiceMAN

February 15th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

@SpicRomney

Thanks! What mixtape? I’ll be sure to check it out.

@ashtag2

Thanks man — appreciate it

@Stephen Niday

Hahaha I’ll take that into consideration if I ever decide to have a future name change

February 15th, 2013

Strictly 4 My P.A.P.I.Z by Bodega Bamz, the review’s up.

February 15th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

Got to work soon so I’ll read it when I come back!

February 15th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

Oh damn my formatting didn’t turn out how it was supposed to — what happened to all the coloured text?

February 16th, 2013

forum formatting disappears :(

March 11th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

March 12th, 2013
AngelEyes's photo

A good EP and a good review

March 12th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it.

March 12th, 2013
Smittens's photo

Good review Vice. This EP bumps.

March 12th, 2013

Is it pronounced Kamillionaire or Chamillionaire?

March 12th, 2013
Ryan Vice's photo

@NewtSpinach Thanks homie! Appreciate the feedback. Glad you like it.

@infamous_german

Kamillionaire

March 13th, 2013