The Peak of Hip Hop as an Art

Simply the greatest thing to ever happen to hip hop…

What are your thoughts? What do you think is the greatest contribution to hip hop?

July 21st, 2011

Enter 36 Chambers is up there too, and so is Madvillainy.

July 21st, 2011
July 21st, 2011

^^ HAHAHA Good one! Didn’t leave too many superlatives out there for others did you?

July 21st, 2011

Hmmmm…kinda hard with so many things to choose!

The Chronic/Recovery/MMLP/SSLP/Doggystyle

Still waiting for Detox….

July 21st, 2011
Quaveel's photo

I think Common’s album

I think this opened a door for hip hop that was undiscovered….a more positive sound to hip hop

July 21st, 2011
Quaveel's photo

if u can’t see the pic im talkin about
Like Water For Chocalate

July 21st, 2011
Duek's photo

I’m not sure what the peak of hip hop artistry was, but whatever it was, I’m pretty sure Outkast did it.

July 21st, 2011

@Madd_Dogg

Three Eminem albums? You’re kidding right?

July 21st, 2011
RimmerGawd's photo

A wakeup call

Maybe not the best, but one of the greats

July 21st, 2011
Grendel's photo

This is up there —

July 30th, 2011
J-Mart's photo

I’m gonna say that Kanye West’s album, “Graduation”, winning that sales battle with 50 Cent’s album, “Curtis”, was the best thing to happen to hip-hop. It finally proved to a lot of people that you don’t have to be a “gangster” (notice the quotation marks) in order to be a successful rapper. It actually suggested that hip-hop fans preferred more clean-cut somewhat socially conscious rappers to “ganster rappers.” A guy like Kanye, rapping about college, beating out a guy like 50, rapping about dealing drugs, showed that you actually needed little to no “street-cred” to succeed and make QUALITY hip-hop music. If it weren’t for this, we wouldn’t see this new breed of artists (Drake, Kid Cudi, Wale, Big Sean, J. Cole, XV, Jay Electronica, etc.) being signed to major labels and getting major attention in the industry. I think we can all agree that that list of guys suggests a movement away from the street and gangster elements of hip-hop that defined the genre in most of the 90’s and 2000’s. I think we can also all agree that those list of guys, and guys like them, are making some of the best music we’ve heard in a while. If it weren’t for Ye beating out 50 in ‘07, none of this would’ve been possible (but it probably would’ve happened eventually). So props to the Louis Vuitton Don for dropping “Graduation” in '07 and beating out 50 Cent and “Curtis” in sales. In my opinion, it was the best thing to ever happen to hip-hop.

July 31st, 2011

@Abiel

You really quoted yourself?

July 31st, 2011
Grendel's photo

@J-Mart — some well made points B. Stakes were high with Ye’s 3rd release, and against Fif he handled not only himself but his “side” of the game with finesse. BTW Graduation is the most spun Yeezy album in the crib, that joint with Primo is heat.

July 31st, 2011

@slim

Nahhh bro I quoted the truth. I kid I kid, yeah I did.

July 31st, 2011