Jay-Z Fell Off?

It seems like people think that Jay-Z has fallen off in recent times, and I don’t see it that way at all. So I’m gonna ask you to educate me and tell me where he’s fallen off. I’m looking at his work from about 2009 to now. And I see…

He’s still making big time hits:
Swagga Like Us
Run This Town
Empire State of Mind
Otis
Niggas In Paris

He’s Still Making albums that go straight to the top of the charts:
Blueprint 2
Watch The Throne

Still Elevating Pop/R&B Songs:
Hot Tottie
Talk That Talk
Suit & Tie

Still Renegading Other Rappers:
Monster (Kanye)
Mr. Nice Watch (J. Cole)
Free Mason (Rick Ross)
So Appalled (Kanye)
Light Up (Drake)
Clique (GOOD Music)

He’s still coming with that clever wordplay (triple entendre, don’t even ask me how), still giving the streets what they want (Death Of Autotune) and he’s still winning Awards like it’s nothin' (11 Grammys and 24 Nominations since 2009).

Please tell me what I’m missing (not sarcastic, I’m being serious).

March 7th, 2013

He don’t use this flow no more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsAw7xrcKM

March 7th, 2013
MYH's photo

I think you meant Blueprint 3 up there. I wouldn’t exactly call DOA what the streets want either.

March 7th, 2013

Selling =/= quality. Jay fell off after RD, came back a bit with The Black Album, fell off again with Kingdom Come, came back again with American Gangster, and fell off again after that. It’s really not that he’s worse; it’s that he’s playing to the commercial powers (ie making songs that will sell as opposed to quality which means he doesn’t really have to try). On the albums he came back on, he actually put some effort into them instead of letting the producers carry the album.

/my 2 cents

March 7th, 2013
RimmerGawd's photo

let me visualize…

March 7th, 2013

Jay Z has NOT fallen off, you sound crazy lozo

March 7th, 2013

MYH, you’re right I did mean Blueprint 3. Blueprint 2 did go to the top of the charts, but that wasn’t in the time frame I was looking at. Every studio album he’s made other than Reasonable Doubt and In My Lifetime, Vol.1 has gone to #1.

March 7th, 2013
omwpeenor's photo

Who the fuck cares if an album is #1 on billboard or whatever. When people say someone fell off it means their quality has dropped tremendously. If you think sales = skill you have a serious problem.

March 7th, 2013

You’re right. That’s why I didn’t JUST talk about sales.

March 7th, 2013
omwpeenor's photo

You shouldn’t have added it at all cause it means absolutely nothing.

March 7th, 2013

Jay hasn’t fallen off. He still writes with impeccable skill. However, his music is becoming less urgent and necessary in the scene. Hip Hop is evolving without Jay having the same impact that he did.

March 7th, 2013

Kind of ironic how you used the term ‘Renegading’ for Jay-Z…

March 7th, 2013
EddieSoe's photo

I believe (and many others do) that Jay-Z is a very good rapper, you can argue that he is the best.

You said he is making big hits , selling alot and hitting No#1 on Billboard. Not to mention Renegading other rappers and Elevating pop songs. That is very true but skills =/ sales , like Madlib said.

He’s still right up there, in the top ten rappers but I THINK : Yeah, maybe he has fallen off. I dont know the exact reason for me to think this way but shit, I do think he has fallen off. Like Pineal said, his music is less necessary now :/

And oh btw , I think winning Grammys as a Rap Artist is kinda hard unless if you are not Eminem, Jay-Z or Kanye West or any other mega rappers. Lots of people saying this too :)

March 7th, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BmsAw7xrcKM

This is how Kendrick sounds on most of his songs, he even said:

I used to wanna' rap like Jay-z, till I realized Jay wasn’t me.

March 7th, 2013

Jay-Z is still one of the rappers out, he just doesn’t make the best albums anymore, imo

Besides, the times have changed and the game just isn’t the same for major rap stars. Most rappers these days get signed off internet hype and their ability to collab with the right people at the right time. Remember Jay appeared on C3, Thug Motivation 101 and alot of other career launching realeases, but lately he has mostly just worked with already-associates such as Kanye, Rihanna and J. Cole.
Add “Suit & Tie” as another win for Hova, but be aware that Jigga is hardly doing anything to associate himself with the younger generation of artists anymore, thus damaging his relevance. Even “Light Up” happened in 2010, AKA lightyears ago in the internet era

March 7th, 2013