Frank Ocean vs The Weeknd vs Miguel. Who's the king of Alt-R&B?

In my opinion, it goes:

The Weeknd
Miguel
Frank Ocean

Miguel doesn’t get enough credit on social networks.

March 22nd, 2013

Frank > Miguel > Weeknd
Complete opposite of you .______.
NO SHOTS THO MAN

March 22nd, 2013

HoB #1 classic

March 22nd, 2013

Frank hands down, I fucks with The Weeknd & Miguel too but Frank just outshines them.

March 22nd, 2013

I think the proper genre term you are searching for is PBR&B. Prince is the Godfather of this genre.

My opinion is:

1: Frank Ocean
2: Miguel
3: The Weeknd

Frank is the best songwriter, he has the most pop appeal, and he has the best co-signs; Jay-Z & Kanye West. Two stellar projects in nostalgia, ULTRA and channel ORANGE. Miguel only has one, his first album sucked terribly despite a number one single. channel ORANGE is in my top two favorite albums ever, despite it’s young age, and he has tons of potential to shake the world. I really think Frank Ocean could go down as one of the greatest musicians to ever walk the planet.

Miguel is like the ghetto Frank Ocean (I couldn’t think of any other way to put it). His songwriting isn’t dumbed-down, but it’s not near as complex as Frank’s. Don’t hold the song “Pussy Is Mine” over my head, it’s a very vulnerable track. His sound is very nostalgic, which is one of the qualities I like about his music.

The Weeknd is the “weirdest” of the three. He’s more alternative than Frank Ocean and Miguel. His sound is less R&B than theirs, and is not soul music whatsoever. Very trippy stuff. I’m not saying it’s bad or I don’t like it, it’s just not on the same level as Miguel.

March 22nd, 2013

Miguel vs Frank Ocean

Vocals – Miguel
Songwriting – Frank Ocean
Producing – Miguel

Winner: Miguel

On top of that, Frank Ocean’s performance at the Grammy’s was straight up embarrassing, you can’t be the best RnB singer doing that when it’s honestly all about the vocals. Songwriting and all that shit is just a bonus.

BEST RECORD OF THE DECADE – ADORN.
(Written and produced by Miguel)

March 22nd, 2013

BJ The Chicago Kid > Frank Ocean > Weeknd > Miguel

Honestly if you listen to Miguel’s album most of it is hit or miss, there is a couple really good tracks, with the others you have very consistent work.

March 22nd, 2013

for me

Frank Ocean

Weeknd and Miguel tie

i don’t get why people don’t like the production of Frank’s stuff. its really unique and lends an extra punch to his work. and those dissing his vocals i feel like he adapts his voice to whatever story he’s telling. he may not be the strongest singer but his singing style is intimate and vulnerable, which goes well with most of his lyrics.

March 22nd, 2013

PBR&B is such a dumb term, though.

Idk why, but I just don’t get the whole Frank Ocean is a complex songwriter thing. Don’t get me wrong; some of his songs prove that, but a lot are just average R&B songs. Take Thinking ‘Bout You for instance. I guess compared to Miguel and The Weeknd he outshines them, but channel ORANGE wasn’t even better than NOSTALGIA, ultra imo.

I guess I like the other two more because they’re just a tad more relatable.

March 22nd, 2013

A good question, to me, is: Who is more versatile, Frank Ocean or Miguel?

March 22nd, 2013

In which aspect or just overall?

March 22nd, 2013

Is Miguel even alt R&B? his stuff sounds like standard R&B to me.

March 22nd, 2013

I consider him Alt R&B. And overall.

March 22nd, 2013

Hm. Possibly Miguel, but only because Frank’s library is a lot larger and is composed of a lot of similarity. Disregard the Lonny Breaux Collection and it’s a tossup.

March 22nd, 2013

I haven’t listened to LBC.

I’m not really sure. I think Miguel is more of a “genre juggler” than Frank. He brings in a lot more aspects of different types of music, as compared to Frank, if that makes sense. And he has a looooot more soul than Frank Ocean, to me.

March 22nd, 2013

True, true. Miguel dabbles out of his genre a lot. I noticed some psychedelic inspirations in there. Sonically, Miguel is more versatile, but conceptually, Frank takes it. Forest Gump and Bad Religion are standouts to me. Miguel’s style is a lot more general Alt-R&B, like, him and the weeknd, rich hil share some similar themes; luckily, they explore them differently.

March 22nd, 2013