How to construct a basic double entendre

The basic double entendre uses a word in one sense and then switches its meaning for comic effect. Here is how you do it:

Start with a list of concept words, that is, words that are relevant to the idea you are talking about.

Mark the words in your list that have multiple, relevant meanings.

For each of these words, construct jokes of the form: Setup: lead people to expect one meaning. Punch line: switch to the other meaning.

I hate alcohol. I can’t stand drinking—I keep falling down.

Revise with two things in mind: making sure the set up is long enough to implant the expectation firmly in the listeners’ minds, and make sure the switch in meaning comes at the very end, or as close to the end as syntactically possible.

source: http://www.toolsofwit.com/ToWit/Ezine06-04-07.html

November 26th, 2011

Another word for a double entendre is an amphiboly, which means an ambiguous grammatical construction; e.g., `they are flying planes' can mean either that someone is flying planes or that something is flying planes.

http://www.vocabulary.com/definition/amphiboly

November 26th, 2011

The day I was born, once-in-a-lifetime experience
January the 13th, that’s my time of the month.. Period!

Would you consider that a double entendre?

November 26th, 2011

Period as in you mean it,

And period as in a girl’s period right?

That one’s good.

I found an example on this other site:

Traffic Sign: Slow Children Crossing.

Double meaning for it: Is the sign informing motorists of the type of children crossing there, or is the sign instructing motorists to slow down?

November 26th, 2011

Yeah, that’s how I ment it.

November 26th, 2011

Let me try one.

I’m high, so I’ll have to head downstairs to cool off in the basement.

First meaning: I’m actually high.

Second meaning: I’m upstairs as in high.

Fail huh?

November 26th, 2011

It’s aight.

I’m higher than Wiz Khalifa smokin' Reefa on top of Burj Khalifa

November 26th, 2011

I was going to say a gay joke, but fuck it.
What a dick.

November 26th, 2011

Higher meaning you’re better than Wiz

And second, you’re actually dosed higher than he is on weed?

November 26th, 2011

I don’t smoke weed though, haha. But I guess it’s something like that.

November 26th, 2011

No love for the double entendres I posted?

November 26th, 2011

Anyone approaching writing lyrics from this perspective is going to produce trash. It’s not a science, it’s an art. You need to have a love for the language and for having fun with it, and double-entendres and puns will just come to you. Over-thinking like this will only make awkward, lame lyrics.

November 26th, 2011

I think it is a science. You have to know the language and it’s limitations. Once you’re very knowledgeable you can then take that information and create double entendres.

How about: He touched children.

November 26th, 2011

What’s the context? Yeah “touched” can mean a couple things…but it’s not funny. It’s not in response to something. It’s not thought-provoking. There’s no sense of joy or interest in it. It’s a shallow technical exercise.

November 26th, 2011

Funny is subjective. Just because I find fart jokes laugh worthy, doesn’t mean you do. The same thing with thought provoking, joy, and interest. You have to take those things out of the equation and instead look at the technical aspect of the line.

“How is John doing?"
"He’s touching kids across the globe.”

November 26th, 2011

how bout this one from one of my verses

“Just leadin' the charge and doin' whatever it takes,
Keepin' the flow dope and raw cuz we dealin' with high stakes”

November 26th, 2011