LONGLIVEASAP- Potential Classic?

Now don’t say I have the term classic misconstrued etc, I’m just inciting a debate, I want to see people’s opinions. Now I think Rocky’s debut was excellent, but not an instant classic the way Kendricks was, but down the line may it be considered as being a classic album? Only time will tell, what do the people at RG think?

May 11th, 2013
broheet's photo

Now don’t say I have the term classic misconstrued

Not trying to hate or anything, but what is your definition of a classic?

The way you asked the question, it seems like you are looking at it subjectively. In which case it totally depends on your personal opinion.

May 11th, 2013

No.

May 11th, 2013

Only classics in the 2010 era:

Kanye West- MBDTF

Pharoahe Monch- W.A.R.

Kendrick Lamar- GKMC

May 11th, 2013

@broheet Yes it’s most definitely subjective, just wanted to see what people thought. @mcrespire Fair enough man, why don’t you think it won’t be a classic?

May 11th, 2013
SDVG's photo

OP i bet if u were stranded in an island without any food you would eat your own shit and say its good

May 11th, 2013

@broheet I think a classic in rap can be viewed in various ways. Besides having to be dope musically, impact and influence are important to, as well as beibg capable of defining a period of time in hip hop. Albums can be considered classic to different types of people too IMO. For example an album like Music To Driveby from CMW would be a classic album to people from Compton in that early 90s era, but that album is universally regarded as a classic.

May 11th, 2013

Album isn’t* universally regarded as a classic.

May 11th, 2013
SDVG's photo

So tell me what great hip hop movement, or even trend, did longlive inspire or influence? Sorry but asap came a little late to the whole “smoke weed imma baller i get hoes screw juice” thing, about 20 years too late.

May 11th, 2013
broheet's photo

Yeah I agree, that’s where the whole subjective vs. objective comes into play.

For objective I feel that an album has to either push the bar in some way (lyricism, production, overall quality etc..) or impact the culture in such a way that it changes hip hop for the better. This is why objectively classics are so hard to come by.

As for subjective, that totally depends on what the album means to you.

May 11th, 2013

Of course it hasn’t influenced anything yet it’s been out for 5 months. I’m not saying it’s classic neither, just want to see what people’s opinions were and start a decent debate. Chill.

May 11th, 2013
SDVG's photo

Objective classics of the past 5 years

OB4CL pt II
Tha carter 3
Blueprint 3
MBDTF
Trophies

Thats about it, given your criteria of pushing the bar in every facet, tbr.

May 11th, 2013

That wasn’t directed @broheet lol

May 11th, 2013

@broheet I agree with that assumption, a good way to view and judge albums.

May 11th, 2013
SDVG's photo

I dont see the debate? First off, GKMC is nowhere near an instant classic. its not even better than any of the 5 albums i listed above.

And no, i dont see longliveassp being considered a classic anytime in the future by any party. It was a disappointing released compared to livelove imo. Think about it, Fuckin Problem is the best track on it and thats like a worse version of Drakes Forever. 4 years later nobody bumps forever anymore. This album wont withstand the test of time. 1 train could have been good if danny brown didnt ruin it.

May 11th, 2013