Can a London accent crossover to the US?

Moneaux's photo

Hip-Hop is now a universal genre and it’s become way bigger than the English language. I’m a rapper from London and I was just wondering if accents really matter anymore.

https://soundcloud.com/moneaux/chakra (http://rapgenius.com/Moneaux-chakra-lyrics)
This is a song that I just released. (Inspired by Ab-Soul).

If a rapper’s saying some serious shit and the production is strong, people should feel it regardless of what the accent sounds like, right?

SAS (Eurogang)

And Lowkey

are examples of artists with ‘unusual’ accents that are still respected by the hip-hop community in America.

What do you guys think?

June 28th, 2013
DeLaNoise's photo

lmao, I’m sorry, I cant take British accents seriously.

June 28th, 2013

u wot mate?

but srsly, london has one of the greatest hiphop scenes, why would you move?

June 28th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

A lot of Americans say they can’t take the accent seriously but I don’t get it. If the lyrics are hard, why not?

June 28th, 2013

MF DOOM counts I guess?

June 28th, 2013

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Adele, Seal, Sade, George Michael ect have all sold tons of records in the states. The Beatles, Adele and George Michael have also had diamond selling albums

have i answered your question?

June 28th, 2013

MF DOOM counts I guess?

As a London accent? srs?

June 28th, 2013
DeLaNoise's photo

I listen to the lyrics, but that doesn’t mean the delivery still doesn’t sound funny to me.

June 28th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

(Inspired by Ab-Soul).

I got that.

If a rapper’s saying some serious shit and the production is strong, people should feel it regardless of what the accent sounds like, right?

I know from talking to people on this forum that our accents [I’m from London too] are sometimes difficult to understand. Especially when we rap at a fast pace, and particularly grime style rap.
But I think accent is less important for your success, because yours isn’t too heavy… but I can imagine an American having to rewind. You’ll have to wait for some users in the US to comment on that. But in the grande scheme of things, there’s nothing you can do about your accent. Just make sure your diction is fine and you’re not too speedy.

On a side note, I think a barrier for UKHH is our slang though. But in saying that, I hate it when UKHH artists mock up the American flows and slang. It just doesn’t sit right with out accents.

June 28th, 2013
DeLaNoise's photo

Dumile is from London, during his KMD days his accent was thicker.

June 28th, 2013

^Thats what I wus saying

@OP why wouldnt it?
Its an extra element to differentiate from American artists and stick out more…

June 28th, 2013
mikez's photo

yo this song is nice bro keep doin yo thing stay outta that mainstream shitty scene

June 28th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

I cant take British accents seriously

I hate it when people group all of the accents in Britain together without realising that there are literally hundreds of regional differences in our accents, lol. Even within London you notice differences in the speech of people living in South East and East.

June 28th, 2013

Honestly, rappers from UK all sound like Hobbits rapping to me…

June 28th, 2013
Jergnome's photo

i can take the accent seriously but it aint popping

June 28th, 2013