Yeah, they could. But I totally understand why a lot of them definitely haven’t. Some British accents when rapping sound incredibly lame and corny and the odds of them breaking through are low.

But a guy like K'naan is foreign and he’s got an accent that’s pretty easy to appreciate. So I don’t think its impossible, the US just hasn’t been exposed to the right guy to make it big. Gonna take the right song and right promotional team too.

June 28th, 2013

I’ve never been bothered by British accents when listening to rap, personally. Original Pirate Material by The Streets is one of my all time favorite rap albums.

June 28th, 2013
HOMINIX's photo

@DeLaNoise Man he moved to the US when he was a baby, I don’t think he had much time to pick up an accent, and I wouldn’t really identify his voice as British when he was in KMD

June 28th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

@DeLaNoise I didn’t know that when you downvote it means anything. I thought it meant I disagree.

June 28th, 2013

I’m not a huge fan of Professor Green, but he spits hard on a song called Today I Cried and from that point on accent didn’t matter to me. Lyrics and good ones at that is all I ever want.

June 28th, 2013
DeLaNoise's photo

@Moneaux regardless you still come off as a bitch to me.

June 28th, 2013
ScottFree's photo

this guy comes to mind whenever i hear any brit rap

June 28th, 2013
Fresh Air's photo

My favorite album is Boy in da Corner by Dizzee Rascal, but besides that and Showtime, I don’t really care too much about British rappers and I don’t think its the accent cuz I watch shows like the IT Crowd and The Inbetweeners

June 28th, 2013
Ace23's photo

I can listen to the accent, but I don’t like the song.

This shit goes hard tho:

https://soundcloud.com/joeylazarus00/insert-name

June 28th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

The Inbetweeners

Literally one of the best shows made ever. Fuck America for trying to recreate it.

June 28th, 2013
Ace23's photo

lmao, I’m sorry, I cant take British accents seriously.

This was me a year ago. One of my homies from Britain introduced to me to British rap, and I got used to the accents. Just takes some getting used to.

June 28th, 2013
GNSS's photo

Nothing can be done until someone makes that shit happen.

You think anyone evr took Kanye Seriously before he blew?

Back when they thought pink Polos would hurt the Roc
Before Cam got the shit to pop

Also, H@CKN£Y IN THIS BIIIIIIITCH.

June 28th, 2013
Ye-Z's photo

I’m from Britain so I can’t give much analysis on whether your accent is acceptable because I’m used to it, but I thought your track was alright, in fact the worst thing about it was just the fact it didn’t fade out at the end.

I think Tinie has the best chance of making breaking the accent barrier, he some success over in the US and has had features like Wiz and Kelly Rowland in the past (plus J.Cole and Big Sean on his EP). If he gets some big names on his new album he might be able to change a few minds. That said I don’t really like his music personally.

June 28th, 2013
Ye-Z's photo

forget the making there forgot to backspace it

June 28th, 2013

nah we use that accent when we want to sound extra dooshy. you’d do better with a slovic.

June 28th, 2013