SDVG's photo

do it then u fuckin crooked smile chav!

June 29th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

@sandycheeks_ Is my song chavy?

June 29th, 2013
SDVG's photo

yeah chavvy as hell. do you own full reebok track suits too and wear sweatbands with marijuana leaf designs on them?

June 29th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

June 29th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

@Ye-Z Thanks

June 29th, 2013
Moneaux's photo

@DeLaNoise And btw, by language barrier I meant the slang punchlines…

June 29th, 2013

They’d have to really relate to people living in the US. The life styles are different and Hip Hop is something that speaks to specific regions. However I feel like it’s gonna happen at some point but it’s gonna have to take a significant talent that we can’t replicate in the states.

Mainly, hip hop fans from the US don’t really like accents that don’t sound street to us. Anyone from London that we hear speaking is usually on TV or had money to come over seas and that doesn’t really relate to the message of hip hop that we’re used to. More exposure would probably make it easier though, so it’s just a matter of UK artists targeting the US.

June 29th, 2013

But since you wanna be a senstive about shit, fuck you.

Talk about sensitivity..

@Moneaux I thought your shit was dope as hell. As far as cross-over appeal, I think there is a very low ceiling on that, atleast as far as you are concerned. It seems like you’re the type that’d want respect for lyrical strength, which just isn’t likely to happen for a UKHH artist in the U.S. IMO. Shit..it rarely happens for a U.S. artist in the U.S…

That doesn’t mean you can’t have major cross over appeal, but lyricism is not going to do it for you. There are plenty of MAJOR rappers, especially from southern U.S., that no one had a fuggin clue about what they’re sayin except for those who lived in the region they came from..but it sounded good. Same is true on a larger scale with that “paper planes” song from M.I.A..it just sounded good. In cases like this, accent is a huuuge benefit. How many times you think guys like Pimp C or Trick Daddy heard, “I can’t take your accent seriously”. Whoever says that is a fuggin goon and will be listenin to your shit regardless if it pops.

My suggestion: listen to as much mainstream southern hip hop (or anything regional that made it big) as you can, and start considering how you can use your accent to your advantage to play with words that other U.S. artists can’t. You have the ability to make some otherwise wack ass shit sound really cool, whether that’s what your goal is or not.

June 29th, 2013

i think it has something to do with danger. we just dont respect places that arent dangerous. like homo’s, british make good comedians and sometimes musicians, but not rappers. now i know them dudes have some ignant sounding motherfkrs that could sound really awesome. heard some of them when i was in the army in bosnia and especially in graf. maybe dudes were irish, i don’t remember. dude made my ears bleed. holy peutrid unspeakable horrors that dude could say. i srsly hope yall never piss off the irish again.

doom, kill yall with words, fade ya on a dune.

June 29th, 2013
edski's photo

Moneaux, your track is not “chav-y” at all. sandy is just trying to get a rise out of the British people.

I think your track tries to address one of the weak areas that UKHH has, which is poor production, weak or corny beats, and a general lower quality of music than USHH. I haven’t listened to the whole track yet, but my first impression was that it didn’t sound typically UK.

June 29th, 2013
smashleigh's photo

which is poor production… and a general lower quality of music than USHH

that’s cos UKHH tries to hold onto the ‘'gritty, from the streets, made in my mates garage, played in an abandoned warehouse or squat house’‘ sound lol.

June 29th, 2013

I know this is mainly supposed to focus in on Hip-Hop and I don’t know if it’s been said, but both Amy and Adele have obviously English accents but both were easy to get over in the States.

I think it’s more likely just assumptions that hold back US listeners, because I know a few UKHH rappers with pretty great production. However, smash kind of just clinched it; UKHH is at the stage where the artists are trying to have a street sound and image in a lot of their music, which would be off-putting to hear if you weren’t used to it.

June 29th, 2013

Paigey Cakey and Lady Leshurr are two UK rappers I listen to quite a bit of

Paigey Cakey tho…shoo…I don’t care what she’s sayin, to be quite honest.

June 29th, 2013
Izuna's photo

Peep this. A friend put me on to them. UK rappers but have a conscious NY sound to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOkRfhmwCk

June 29th, 2013
nmarf's photo

That British nigga Tinie Tempah or whatever the fuck his name is had a couple of big hits here in the states. He’s British as fuck.

June 29th, 2013