What is one thing that automatically turns you off from a rapper?

Mykro's photo

Bad lyrics?
Bad production?
Asshole personality? cough KANYE cough
Annoying delivery?

For me it’s gotta be bad production. I can bop my head along to any song and like it, even if the lyrics are about stupid shit. But if a dude is an amazing lyricist, and can’t mix beats for his life, I can’t get into him.

What about you guys?

July 5th, 2013
ScottFree's photo

Cosign on production.

Additionally annoying adlibs and bad song intros turn me off.

July 5th, 2013

Being french montana

I’ll say bad production as well. Also, bad flow/delivery. I don’t care how good your lyrics are if you can’t flow to save your life or if you sound like you’re mumbling the words.

July 5th, 2013
1o17's photo

voice and when lines that hardly rhyme

July 5th, 2013

Thesaurus-raping miracle lyrical shit. ESPECIALLY when the dude is using huge words and complicated overlapping metaphors to express what is basically some simple shit.

July 6th, 2013

-Using autotune (Future)
-Being a racist prick (MGK)
-Saying dumb shit (Lil Wayne)
-Ashy niggas (Chief Keef)
-Blatant condescendence, overly poppy beats (Lupe these days)
-The best thing of her music videos not being her rapping, naw mean? (Nicki Minaj)

IM TALKING ABOUT HER ASS! (If the clever joke went over your head)

July 6th, 2013
GNSS's photo

Cosign on lyrical miracle shit. Lack of charisma, basically, if I find you boring, nothing else matters.

July 6th, 2013

just stupid lyrics that seem to have no comedic effect on a decent to below average beat

July 6th, 2013
MFVoltron's photo

• The subject matter or topic, specifically the generic overly mellow weed songs, all these “aspiring” rappers all sound the fucking same, it’s stupidly disgusting.

• Studio gangsters, especially that take themselves too serious, like motherfucker sit yo ass down,

• Pussy whipped bitch made niggas, nothing against drake but a good chunk of his shit makes me cringe like a motherfucker.

• Bad production, like really bad production, those half assed beats with minimal as fuck drum patterns, overly misused atmospheric synthesizers. These hideous wanna-be pseudo fake ass not real cloud rap beats are just atrocious it’s probably the biggest thing i hate atfirst listens.

• Bad Production 2, the exact opposite as the other one, in this case it’s the shitastic trap music attempts that they literally went to go as obnoxious as possible, more directly at the overproduced shitstains that tarnishes HipHop and in fact builds disgustingly negative stereotypes.

• Wasted production, when motherfucker finally get superb delectable perfect tasty beats the kind of beat that you can make an incredible cake with solely the beat, but wait here comes some god awful ass rapper that bust through the door and takes a Lincoln Log of a shit RIGHT on top of the cake with mediocre to out dreadful lyricism. Fuck what i said earlier, THIS is the worst possible thing to do in HipHop

• Daddy Bought My Success Rappers, shitty shit shit rappers who ownly gained any form of success because of pure nepotism, specifically through family members.

July 6th, 2013
Izuna's photo

Having a shitty personality. Their music can be nice but as soon as I watch an interview of them or see them tweet things that just shows how much of a shitty person they are I just cant fuck with the music anymore. Sometimes the opposite will happen where an artist who I hate on will do an interview and it changes my whole opinion on them.

Bad production is another thing.

July 6th, 2013

Hmmm I wonder who No1JiggerStanCamel is refering to….
I should pull out my notebook and think about it

Nobody really comes to mind but I gots this gut-feeling RTJII will go on a thumbing down spree on you very soon

July 6th, 2013
DeLaNoise's photo

Too much cussing

July 6th, 2013

Don’t have problem with artists using a strong vocabulary. Just keep it realistic though. Don’t be using college esque words, that you probably will forget what it means in a week.

July 6th, 2013
Wilsonnn's photo

When MCs try to rap really fast

July 6th, 2013
Mykro's photo

It just starts to feel awkward if rappers drop a fuck or shit every 3rd word.

July 6th, 2013