Will Gangsta Rap Ever Make a Comeback?

imac's photo

Gangsta rap hit the scene when a lot of the artists in hip hop were flashy and the music was kind of like pop.

I think it will make a comeback and hopefully it is soon, what is popular in hip hop now is often times fake. I feel like someone will hit the scene again with a gangsta rap style that people will like because it is real and it is relentless.

July 7th, 2013

People like Keef are the closest thing we have to gangsta rap right now, and tbr I can’t see that getting bigger than it is. Meanwhile Drake and his ilk are at the top with no sign of falling off

July 7th, 2013
Northstars's photo

July 7th, 2013
ScottFree's photo

I don’t think gangsta rap has even the slightest chance of making a comeback. Not many people are into the gangsta shit anymore and it can’t be marketed.

July 7th, 2013

Q ain’t strictly conventional Gangsta rap…
You got your The Game’s, your Trouble’s and you Chief Keef’s these days…
What you classify it is what you want….

July 7th, 2013
Northstars's photo

also this man

It’s GIBBS BITCH

July 7th, 2013

Lol Gangsta rap was the fakest of them all. Human beings are multi-faceted, when a room in filled with characters acting the same it is an act. Just let artists be themselves, no need for 1 sub genre to dominate another.

July 7th, 2013
imac's photo

So you are saying every gangsta rapper was a fake?

July 7th, 2013

I didn’t say that… a good 90% were fake, a good 99.9% grossly exaggerated.

July 7th, 2013

I’d classify mAAd City as gangster rap song and it turned out to be pretty successful.
Who knows, maybe Kendrick will make some more songs like it in the future, it can be expected from somebody who grew up in Compton.

July 7th, 2013
Reineke's photo

Gangster rap ain’t dead, it didn’t die
It took steroids to the head and became Crooked I

1:33 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooGY5OvaK0

July 7th, 2013

@illMATTic

It could also be described as conscious

July 7th, 2013
imac's photo

@illMATTic i definitely would consider it a gangsta rap song, the MC Eiht feature just made it that much better

July 7th, 2013
Shad Fer's photo

As long as Freddie Gibbs is still breathing,then I doubt it…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNnO-UFDjwo

July 7th, 2013

Q and Jay Rock are getting pretty popular and the Game is still making music, but that’s pretty much it.

July 7th, 2013