Thoughts on the concept of the Lupe Fiasco "SLR" Trilogy

What’s Lupe’s motive for his “SLR” trilogy? These are my thoughts, please feel free to discuss with moi (I know it’s long but just read the whole thing please )

I think I might know why. You see, when the first SLR came out, it was mega super lyrical, mostly because he wanted to prove people like Soulja Boy (who called Lupe nothing but a “super duper lyrical rapper”) right. He knew people were calling his music “too lyrical” so he dropped SLR as kind of a “damn right I’m lyrical” type of thing.

Now when SLR 2 came out last week, everybody thought it was gonna sound just like the 1st one (ya know with it having the same title and all), but instead we got something completely different. The beat was different, and the lyrics sound dumbed down with 1st grade bars and a changed flow, which is odd considering how great the first one was. He later said that he only spent two hours on it, which explains why it lacks the “super lupe” lyrical content.

He was tricking by calling it “SLR 2”, because he knew what we were expecting it to sound like. (Sidenote: Also, all of his Twitter followers were riding his dick the night after Kendrick’s Control verse dropped, and everybody was begging for him to do a response.) That is the ultimate troll.

This one, on the other hand, sounds more like the Lupe we know and love, and because it came RIGHT after SLR 2 (literally), I’m guessing he’s tricked us once again by not having it sound even remotely close to the second one. Everyone (including me) thought this was gonna be another dumbed down version of SLR 1.

So in a way, this could be the REAL SLR 2, but then again thats just me. Anyways, bottom line is Lupe is a genius, and he knew what he was doing all along.

August 20th, 2013
ScottFree's photo

I think it’s a sort of sneak peak of the type of content we’re going to see on his new album Tetsuo & Youth.

August 20th, 2013
Stelio's photo

Lupe won

August 20th, 2013
S3B's photo

I think Lupe fucked up on SLR2 and made SLR3 cause he was like “oh shit i fucked up i have to fix it”

August 20th, 2013
Sketch's photo

i dont even listen to lupe too much but i heard slr 2 and i thought it was pretty dope

August 20th, 2013
DiMES's photo

“the lyrics sound dumbed down with 1st grade bars”

oh word?

break youself bruh

August 21st, 2013

“break myself”? The heck? lol

August 25th, 2013

Wish his discography was just:

F&L
The Cool
Lasers