Macklemore

I may catch some flack for this but honestly if you are a fan of Macklemore please explain to me why. I understand he has a bunch of socially conscious lyrics, but to me it comes off as self righteous “holier than though” schtick that wears itself out quickly. Unless you are under 12 or a middle aged mini van owner the guy will automatically kill your vibe. Honestly who in their right mind would want to drive around and bump same love* with their homies, even if they were homosexual! The guy even raps about how weed is a dangerous and addictive drug, bitch please…Albeit Ryan Lewis' beats are solid, I just don’t understand how a non-mainstream rap listener would like this guy.

*I’m not homophobic, gays can do what they want, get married etc. it’s none of my buisiness

August 27th, 2013

I like his sound. Ryan Lewis always delivers, and Macklemore has pretty good flows and great hooks. I don’t think the messages really kill vibes either. This is one of my favorite Macklemore songs, and it sounds great while talking about addiction. He also has songs like this that are made to bump.

August 27th, 2013

Old Macklemore stuff is good, there is some good songs on the heist, but he is a mediocre artist and didn’t deserve anything he got yesterday.

August 27th, 2013
MFVoltron's photo

The same way I fucks with Brother Ali, Atmosphere, etc.

Just because they don’t release bangers (for the most part) and can touch on social topics doesn’t mean that they’re shit.

Also just to clarify Im not necessarily a fan of Macklemore but I do respect the nigga as an artist and as a person

August 27th, 2013

@JeffyThePussyEatingMotherFucker I think same love deserved the song with a social message award. The rest were bs

August 27th, 2013

maybe its his mainstream success that bothers me, perhaps i’m just a hater. it just drives me insane when people say they hate artists such as kanye west, who has a bevy of brilliant socially inspired lyrics, and love macklemore.

August 27th, 2013
MFVoltron's photo

Well now…not really sure how to respond to that…I guess this where i take my leave

GRAB ME SEABIRD

August 27th, 2013
Bound3's photo

He’s better than most mainstream rappers that get airplay. To be honest, I’d rather hear more music like his in the top 40 instead of more Ke$ha and One Direction. He also makes references to old school hip hop in some of his hit singles which is pretty cool.

Oh, and

SAME LOVE

August 27th, 2013
Woden's photo

Macklemore appeals to liberals and asking for their opinion is unnecessary

August 27th, 2013

I’m not use to his unorthodox talking-over-the-beat flow. And his one syllable slant rhymes is wierd…no one does slant rhyming the way Macklmore does e.g.

We have to change us
Whatever god you believe in
We come from the same one
Strip away the fear, underneath, it’s all the same love
About time that we raised up!

but they do have great beats and hooks. The Irish Celebration is one of my favorite songs of theirs.

August 27th, 2013
Nimpeo's photo

The guy even raps about how weed is a dangerous and addictive drug, bitch please…

Have you heard Blue Scholars — Tommy Chong (Ft. Macklemore)?

August 27th, 2013
BlackPhan's photo

Another Macklemore thread?????!

August 27th, 2013

I just don’t understand how a non-mainstream rap listener would like this guy.

Well, you better believe, lol.

It’s fine if you don’t like him, to each his own. I can see why the high emphasis on messages can get tiresome, but I personally think it’s rather refreshing to have some conceptual rap and some actual conscious content, god knows it’s been lacking in (mainstream) hiphop.

He is definitely not a favorite of mine, but I do like him, and “The Heist” is a solid album. He’s a good storyteller, has a good delivery and flow (once you get used to his voice), and for the most part he raps on good beats (can get a bit too poppy for me, tho).

I understand he has a bunch of socially conscious lyrics, but to me it comes off as self righteous “holier than though” schtick that wears itself out quickly.

I disagree, he seems fairly humble on his conscious tracks. Plenty of regret and pain on “Starting Over” and “Wings”, and “Jimmy Iovine” flirts with selling out in a very relateable way, not to mention a great and, again, humble motivational track in “10000 Hours”.

Honestly who in their right mind would want to drive around and bump same love* with their homies, even if they were homosexual!

Not all music is for bumping in the whip, tho. Some music is just for listening. I wouldn’t bump the new Dessa with the homies either, and I love that shit. With that said, I actually might bump “Same Love”, it’s a dope ass track.

Anyway, bottom line is you don’t have to like him, it’s fine to dislike him. It’s also fine to like him. IMO he makes solid and enjoyable music, plus he is a fun character in mainstream hiphop.

August 27th, 2013
SDVG's photo

hes soft as pillows cuh

August 27th, 2013

I like his Language of My World album, the project he dropped before ever meeting Ryan Lewis. His first song actually puts white privilege, conscious rap and how white are seen in hip hop right out there; I respect him a lot for voicing his opinion and standing with a strong message, even though it can come off corny at times. He’s good from a technical standpoint too.

August 27th, 2013