If Tupac And Biggie Were Still Alive....Would They Sell Out/Dumb It Down?

If you have an account on Facebook, I’m sure that you have seen something like this:

Or something along those lines.

The question, how true is this idea. Immortal Technique said it best:

“You don’t know shit about a dead man’s perspective”

Jay Z dumbed it down, Black Eyed Peas sold out, Eminem kind of went pop (say what you want, but you know Eminem had much doper bars before his hiatus), and Busta Rhyme…holy shit!

So how do you know that Tupac and/or Biggie wouldn’t do the same?

Discuss….

September 3rd, 2013

2Pac had already been somewhat forced to sell out with the whole Death Row West Coast gangsta rap feel of All Eyez On Me, and Diddy was already having 112 and shit on Biggie’s albums

September 3rd, 2013
CheevMan's photo

If Tupac And Biggie Were Still Alive..

Tupac is still secretly alive..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRVwrhDArOU

September 3rd, 2013
Holla's photo

Didn’t you answer your own question by bringing in the Immortal Technique line which you feel said it best?

Ahh well, I believe Biggie would definitely go for commercial success. Just compare Life After Death to Ready To Die, now we all know his second album was waaaay more commercial than his first. Nothing wrong with it, since it still had bars, but I always felt he would go for more commercial things and follow some trends while keeping his own. Since we only had two albums out here, we can only really guess.

Pac could’ve done so too, since All Eyez On Me definitely had a sound that is probably more appealing to the mass than his first three albums. I also like to think that ‘'The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory’‘ is kind of his way of showing us he’s definitely not going for the commercial success (although Toss it Up and To Live and Die in LA are obvious singles). I kind of compare that album to Yeezus, since they’re both so incredibly different from the albums released before, and MBDTF and AEOM are both kind of commercial in comparison to the follow ups.

Again we can only guess, and this is just my take on it.

September 3rd, 2013

They both started selling out a bit. Biggie was on some rugged, Brooklyn shit then he started making party songs and million dollar videos. Pac went from hood revolutionary to rocking some real suspect leather outfits. Going into the late 90s, a lot of artists were adapting to the increased party atmosphere of commercial rap.

September 3rd, 2013

I don’t think he would have sold out as much as some people would like to believe…

2Pac was working on an East-Coast collaboration before dying (Look up the movie 7 DAYZ)
He was also starting a beef with Dr Dre. His posthumous stuff were on point too.
Tupac didn’t “sell-out” by doing All Eyez On Me, its not a big of a leap to mainstream compared to most rapper you can name that found mainstream success.

I think alive he would still be very respected as a rapper, more than Ice Cube at the minimum.

September 3rd, 2013
Est-2096's photo

Pac would have went down the same road as Will Smith

and become a successful movie star

September 3rd, 2013
Alpha-Q-Up's photo

Tupac Is Alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI00BkUI0Lc

No but seriously what do you mean by sellout?….in my opinion sellingout is changing who you are as a person in order to make money.Tupac would have done more movies and the movies would have been VERY successful.He would have kept making AMAZING music with the message that he believed in his heart.

He also might have gotten into politics,and helped his community and other communities like his,in that way.

NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE “SELLINGOUT” IMO

September 3rd, 2013
ptica's photo

Biggie would fell of in 1998

Jay-Z would be dead

2Pac and Nas would make a collab album

Game would beef with 2Pac, both would die around 2007

September 3rd, 2013
Alpha-Q-Up's photo

Great Interview Right Here

Tupac actually talks about “Sellingout” in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qn_mjc5Ifs

September 3rd, 2013

Wow… Great question.
We will never really know… My opinion is Biggie would kinda sell out and 2Pac would have 2-3 songs on album that would be radio friendly, rest of the album would be hip-hop. Those 2-3 songs would be singles… Just my opinion but like i sad we will never know

September 3rd, 2013

Biggy- probly

2pac-maybe although Im not sure.

He mightve had the decency and common sense to not sell out but then again just think about how big Snoop Dogg was when he first came out. At the time he was one of the most well known rappers and now he’s so fucked up in the head he’s impersonating Bob Marley

September 4th, 2013

I’ll bet on the movies logic. I think Tupac would have done more of them. But I also think he would have grown in politics. His activist persona would grow up. I also think that this fact would have changed a lil bit the way game is today. But not on that bullshit of Wayne being working at McDonalds, that’s stupid to say. I guess he would have become an very important person for black people and for Hip-Hop culture in a whole.

Biggie would follow Diddy’s tendencies. He would go pop, similar to Em. He would have grown more in his rapper side. Maybe he’d lose some fat, who knows?

But Immortal Technique got it right:

You don’t know shit about a dead man’s perspective

September 4th, 2013
Ace23's photo

yes

September 4th, 2013
MBTM's photo

September 4th, 2013