A not-so-indepth review of: Nothing Was the Same

Maybe this is a bit bias, but I am totally over it. I’ve listened through the whole album 5 times already, and a few songs upwards of 10 times. Although it’s not enough to make concrete decisions, these are just my opinions thus far.

Tuscan Leather — 9/10

Solid sample, I really liked the beat personally. The lyrics were there, but not quite worthy of 9.5 or 10

Furthest Thing — 9.5/10

This is one of my favourite songs. Drake doing what he does best. Solid, yet simple beat, amazing melody imho, and it’s that singy/rap mixture similar to Marvin’s Room that he has claimed. The ‘outro’ to this song is dope

Started from the Bottom — 5/10

I hate this song, just an over-played, annoying radio hit with a nice beat.

Wu-Tang Forever — 8/10

Amazing song, but the title makes it lose 1 automatically. Rather repetitive but that doesn’t bug me. Solid song

Own It — 7/10

Not a bad track, stereotypical drake song, nice smooth beat with his ‘normal’ vocals. Reminds me of Over my Dead Body.

Worst Behavior — 6/10

Meh. Nice beat but the song is pretty plain imho. Didn’t really like it tbr

From Time — 10/10

I love the song. Everything about it, from Jhene to Drake, and the beat in-between, jut an overall SOLID track

Hold On We’re Going Home — 7/10

Good song, but tbh didn’t fit in with the rest of the album. Just meant to get some radio play but not a very good song imho. And the VMA performance wrecked it for me,

Connect — 9/10

Strictly 4 tha bitchez, but I love the snare/clap and the nice kids. Beautiful synth, just a well put together song.

Language — 9.5/10

Pure banger. Not much else to say, top 5 on the album easily.

305 To My City — 10/10

Not much to say again, just a masterpiece instrumental, and Drake gets busy on this track. My PERSONAL favourite.

Too Much — 9.5/10

I personally really like this song, the off-key flow is quite interesting as it’s something I haven’t seen drake do very much, but I really did enjoy it. Sampha get’s busy imho. You could break this down further, But don’t think about it too much.

Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2 — 10/6/20

Pound Cake was solidly done, good beat, Drake and Jay body it CREAMMMMM

PMM2 was an absolute letdown.. At least in my opinion and I have nothing to say about it other than after Pound Cake I skip to the next track

Come Through — 8/10

4 Tha Bitchez. Nice 808s, I like the snares, very melodic track, something I could see on Take Care, not too sure it really fits the vibe of this album though.

All Me — 8/10

I think Big Sean and Drake get busy. 2Chainz does decently, but nothing outstanding. Good track overall

OVERALL: 9, 9.5, 5, 8, 7, 6, 10, 7 , 9, 9.5, 10, 9.5, 10/6, 8, 8.

Therefore; 7.8/10 overall

I would still give it an 8.5 personally, because I don’t like to include Started from the Bottom, which would give it a lot better rating (near the 8.5 park) Solid album though, still room to change as I’ve only had it for roughly 14 hours

September 16th, 2013

Cake cake cake cake cake cake

the title [Wu-Tang Forever] makes it lose 1 automatically

People be taking titles too literally, acting like every song about love has to be called “love” and every turnup song has to be called “turnup”. It samples a track from Wu-Tang Forever and that’s reason enough to name it that

September 16th, 2013

Agree with you on Worst Behaviour, song feel too awkward.

September 16th, 2013

I personally love Worst Behavior. The beat is fire and his flow is sporadic in a catchy sort of way. Sounds like GBE’s style and is probably where Fredo Santana’s connection to NWTS comes from. Lyrically aside from the second verse it’s hella repetitive, but that’s cool. Shit’s been stuck in my head since last night.

September 16th, 2013

@123andtotha4

Although I do agree with you that people take titles too literally, and I understand WHY he called the song Wu-Tang forever, and paying ohmage to Wu-Tang was classy, but I feel that the song title was not necessary. The title did not fit. In most songs, the title is said in the song a few times, but quite frankly he only said it once, MAYBE twice. Just felt like an awfully titled song.

September 16th, 2013
DJx2's photo

@Mackiaveli This isn’t the first time Drake’s named a song without saying the title in said song. Remember Marvin’s Room? He never actually says the words Marvin’s Room anywhere in the song

September 16th, 2013

@DJx2 You are totally right, but I think that one was more significant, because he constantly compares himself to Marvin Gaye, and says he wants to BE the next Marvin Gaye. IDK, just me though, I just don’t agree with the title. REGARDLESS, BANGIN SONG THO

September 16th, 2013

After listening to each song 15 times or more, I can say my review hasn’t changed … at all.

However, I have come to the conclusion Started from the Bottom is not a song and does not deserve to be on the album, so lets just remove that. What does everyone else think thus far?

September 17th, 2013

Bump for most accurate review. Tell me why I’m wrong though if you want :) go team

September 20th, 2013

Where the comments at? :(

September 20th, 2013

lol @ sftb being 5
Lol @ taking a point away because of the song title

September 20th, 2013

The next Marvin Gaye

Ain’t even the next Kanye

September 20th, 2013