Is it me, or does Redman flow like Busta Rhymes? Or is it the other way around?

September 17th, 2013
C_Goomba's photo

The Coming came out four years after Redman’s debut so it seems likely (tht redman track did come out the same year so you might want to find out exactly when that single came out). But at the same time Busta incorporated his own charismatic style. I wouldn’t say Busta bit off Redman, just took his flow and added his own flavor. Redman’s flow seems more smooth and sophisticated. He puts more syllables and compounds while Busta just focuses on making his rhymes sound raw

September 17th, 2013

redman is actually like top 5

September 17th, 2013
Alpha-Q-Up's photo

OP links Vevo video…

we’ll never know :–(

September 17th, 2013

Like if you cry every time.

September 17th, 2013
Hellblazer's photo

No.

September 17th, 2013

@Hellblazer — explain.

September 17th, 2013
Hellblazer's photo

Comparing these two are like comparing DC Universe & Marvel, same game, way different handling of characters.

In depth, if you look at Redman’s style ever since the birth of Whut? Thee Album and The Coming you are looking at distinct aggressive styles but Redman takes a more gritty subtle approach while Busta Rhymes from day 1 comes with one of the most frantic styles and voices to bless hip-hop. It’s more like I could imagine Red & Meth working as far back as Tical if they wanted to before I could imagine Redman & Busta working together on a Woo Hah! remix. Even with the Flipmode Squad Meets Def Squad track they did there’s still a whole different feel with each lyricists

Example straight from Busta’s verse:

From your conversation the way you come across your shit is off
Malfunctionin my nigga you about to feel the real force
Lay you on your face while I beat you up your head with the holy cross
Exotic niggas blastin off to the Land of the Lost

Example straight from Red’s verse:

Manslaughter in alphabetical order for four quarters
Raw water turn sons to grandaughters
Ah ha ha ha ha! I bring trouble where, you sleep
So I double dare to bust you in your bubble bear, coat

Like I said there’s still that sense of aggression with both verses but they way they handle it is in their own unique context. I’ll say there are times you could probably hear the same few lines in each other’s voice and it goes well but each rapper still has their own trademarked flow.

September 17th, 2013

@Hellblazer — Yeah, I’m starting to have a better understanding of levels in aggression from their flows. For some reason, they just sounded similar to me, lol. Thanks.

September 26th, 2013
Hellblazer's photo

@Negrostotle
No problem, fam.

September 26th, 2013

is it just me or does Redman look like Gunplay

September 26th, 2013
Leverag's photo

@music_for_life mix between Ice T and Gunplay.

September 26th, 2013

I think Biggie kinda sounds like Redman sometimes — like on Tonights The Night, when he gets smoove

September 26th, 2013

bump.

October 13th, 2013