MBTM's photo

The only reason why people don’t consider Jay to be the greatest is because he aint dead yet. We jump on everyone’s dick when they die. If pac and biggie were alive today, they likely would be retired and have a reality show done on VH1. Longevity is the test of greatness.

This dude is 43 years old, and is still releasing #1 albums, and even his first #1 hit. He a one of the most powerful hip hop moguls, and one of the wealthiest. Most young MC’s credit Jay for their influence than any others

October 1st, 2013

@Depressed_Insomniac My bad, I fell for your troll hard. Thank you though. You bring up excellent points.

October 1st, 2013
J-Dilla's photo

The only reason why people don’t consider Jay to be the greatest is because he aint dead yet.

October 1st, 2013
Jergnome's photo

hovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaaa

October 1st, 2013
Eddz's photo

@J-Dilla Case in point (Though Donuts truly is a great album)

October 1st, 2013
BlackPhan's photo

Jay-Z used to be my favorite rapper. He’s put out some simply fantastic shit in my opinion, don’t get me wrong, but he’s been in cruise control lyrically since 2010….that’s honestly my only knock on him, personally. Other than that, Reasonable Doubt, The Black Album, and American Gangster are all great albums I could listen to with no skips. He’s still Top 10 to me.

October 1st, 2013

Personally, I consider him a very good rapper, top 10 OAT at his best. That said, he’s often not at his best IMO. This isn’t for lack of talent, but, as the man himself said, because he dumbed down his stuff.

Now I could understand someone claiming the same about a rapper like Nas or Common, where his stuff isn’t as technical as it used to be, but to me that’s different. Each of them has shifted away from technicality to focus on other areas of writing because it fits where he is in life better.

Jay on the other hand, again entirely my opinion, knows that he’s a household name. That combined with his ability to get really good beats means that his stuff will sell regardless of the effort he puts in to it. For the most part, he’s lost his motivation. Because of this, his stuff comes across as lazy and isn’t particularly appealing to me. Albums I feel that he tried on are RD, TBA, and AG. With the rest, the level of effort varies, even from song to song. For example, on WTT, there are a few songs I feel he tried on, and those are really good, but for the most part, he phoned it in. He seems to try more on features, which a lot of rappers actually seem to do. Because of this, at this point, I probably listen to songs featuring Jay Z as much as, if not more than, songs by him.

And that’s my two cents on the matter.

October 1st, 2013

u can’t stop the flow of hov

October 1st, 2013

I can totally agree that Jay-Z (I’m not letting go of the hyphen because I don’t have much faith in post-hyphen Hova) has not released a truly great album since American Gangster. He has definitely been disappointing for at least four years now. But as many of you are saying, I still don’t think that takes away from the excellent run that he has given us. Ten years of relative consistency (especially in hip hop) is pretty good, if you ask me. And while he’s mostly been on cruise control, I wouldn’t say he’s straight up terrible as in “I totally regret listening to that” for the most part, it’s just most of his more recent music doesn’t seem worth listening to on repeat. He’s definitely a shade of his former self right now, in my opinion.

October 1st, 2013

You guys claim to be fans of Jay Z but you still spell his name with a hyphen…

Also to the OP, every rapper has haters, you can’t force everyone to like a certain rapper.

October 1st, 2013
MTL's photo

I went to see Oprah live once and she said “People don’t want to see me succeed anymore, I mean what would you say if I won the lottery”

Jiggas been winning the lottery

October 1st, 2013

I think people hate him because he went from Jaz to hanging with Kane, to Irv, to Big
And Eminem murdered him on his own shit.

October 1st, 2013

Mostly 3 key things in order
1 People think he has connection to the illuminati.
2 jay z was stealing lyrics from biggie.
3 he is worth half a billon.

October 1st, 2013
Shaneee's photo

He’s the quintessence of average. That’s the most accurate and fitting description.

October 1st, 2013

Only thing I don’t like about Jay is that all he seems to rap about is himself.

October 1st, 2013