Jay has 3 classics, that’s better than most artists' careers.

October 1st, 2013

@Socrates I’m not exactly sure what proof to show you; it’s just I’ve noticed on many forums or video sites or social media, there seems to be a considerable amount of Jay-Z hate. For example, when the Raekwon Facebook page posted a picture of The Chef and Jay-Z, the majority of the comments were either “FUCK GAY-Z!!!”, some lyrics from “Ether”, camel-based slurs, or similar negative comments toward him. Also, a picture posted by a Facebook page called Hip Hop Memes depicted four Rolling Stone Magazine Covers with the headline “The 50 Greatest Hip Hop Songs of All Time” with Eminem, 2Pac, Jay-Z, and The Notorious B.I.G. each on one of the covers, and the most popular comments said things like “Why is Jay-Z there?” or “Take Jay-Z out!” or the simpler “Fuck Jay-Z!” I made this thread because I thought I couldn’t be the only one who noticed things like this, and I wanted an explanation from hip hop listeners willing to state and support their opinions.

October 1st, 2013

Seriously, though. I don’t buy all this “he’s a sellout” bullshit. People, he started out as nothing selling drugs on Brooklyn streets and now he’s the richest rapper in the world, still topping charts after almost 20 years, has a beautiful wife and just had a daughter. He has every right to brag about his success. Why do people want him to act like he’s still on the streets? He’s over 40 years old. “Niggas want my old shit, buy my old album”.

Also, don’t get mad just cause Jay has successful crossover hits. Nas stans will attack him for “selling out” but forget that Nas also tried making catchy pop singles with You Owe Me and Oochie Wally. The only difference is Nas sucks at making catchy songs so albums like Nastradamus flopped while Jay took a more poppy route after Reasonable Doubt but actually made it work. Dude is versatile as fuck and even though he’s not on the top of his game right now, he’s still outspitting a lot of these young niggas. You have to respect him for his hustle and success, let alone his wordplay, diverse style and lyrical prowess.

October 2nd, 2013
RawTune's photo

I don’t hate Jay-Z. He contributed a lot to hip-hop back in the day, but this guy has fallen off heavily. Something else I don’t like, I think Jay-Z is overrated by a lot of fake people who pretend they’re hip-hop heads. I think the only reason Jay gets so much credit is because of his longevity in the game. He’s BEEN here, and he’s collaborated with Pac. That’s crazy, and we all know rappers who’ve been in the game for a long time are overrated (Snoop dogg) and I just feel like he’s hype over talent.

But I’m not gonna lie, Hov’s flow is sick, that’s my favorite thing about him. He has good wordplay too “im needing this dough” some of the best wordplay I’ve seen in hip-hop. I just feel he doesn’t deserve a throne, and there’s a lot of people from his generation whom he can’t fuck with.

People always say oh Jay-Z is the last living legend, blah blah best rapper alive.
No. Nas shits all over Jay-Z, and I’m not even talking about Ether, Nas is a better lyricist and has better music in general. Jay-Z is if not most of time, often a rapper with a nice flow on a nice beat. The production is usually so good it hides the occasional flaws and delivery in flow (ex. Tom Ford “sound im so special part”)

That’s just my honest opinion though.

October 2nd, 2013
Evict's photo

I just dont see how you can respect a guy that dumbs down his lyrics on purpose just for money. I mean, that’s not what this hip hop shit in my opinion. I know it sounds pretty damn corny, but at some point, you just need to stop worrying about money so much and just make good music.

October 2nd, 2013

@DMC2 I respect your opinion, but if “I’m needing/kneading this dough” is the cleverest you’ve heard Jay, then I don’t think you’re listening too well. But just my opinion.

October 2nd, 2013
RawTune's photo

@CaptainNigeria I don’t even think that’s possible. This nigga made an OCTUPLE entendre, and it was all based on homophones. That concept itself sounds crazy.

October 2nd, 2013
DCA's photo

See the thing about Jay-Z is just that he doesn’t really make very good music is all.

October 2nd, 2013

@Evict To be honest, that’s a very valid opinion. The problem is that he probably wouldn’t be as well known if he hadn’t done so. He addresses this throughout the second verse of “Moment of Clarity” and then again in “So Appalled”

October 2nd, 2013
Kizman's photo

My question is why do people hate JayZ?

I respect you if you just don’t like his music. But some people call him a sellout?

why is it that so many blacks will only celebrate you as long as you dont get too much success? I’ll tell you. because those of us who think that way are the REAL enemy. you allow someone to program the idea in your head that blacks can’t be but so successful before they are considered a sell-out. it’s like a tax bracket. you good until you pass a certain success level. then you are a sell-out. Yall don’t even realize that this is a slave mentality.

I’ve never seen a white person call Eminem a sellout lol

October 2nd, 2013
Evict's photo

@CaptainNigeria Yeah that’s totally true, he’s not near as relevant if he doesn’t make the music that he currently makes. I guess I was just trying to say that at some point in most people’s career they have to make a choice of going with mass appeal or sticking with authenticity.

October 2nd, 2013
Evict's photo

@Kizman You can find tons of people that think Eminem is a sell out, whether they are white or not I don’t know, but Eminem being called a sell out is nothing new. Also, you won’t find many white Eminem fans that actually know anything about Hip Hop…not racist, just an observation.

October 2nd, 2013

If you go on Youtube and look at the comments on nearly any of the songs from MCHG they will be hate comments towards Jay Z.

October 2nd, 2013

I think he’s kind of overrated as a lyricist. He’ll throw in a nice entendre once in a while but aside from that he doesn’t impress me. Single-syllable, braggadocious rhyming doesn’t intrigue me. I know every rapper brags to a certain degree but Hov’s seems excessive.

October 2nd, 2013

As people have said, there’s more hate for Jay than any other rapper that’s often brought up in GOAT conversations. I had one friend going through my music the other day and when she saw Hov she literally say ew, and that’s not even an unusual reaction.

@iggyazaleastan Give me one reason someone should retire just because they’ve been around for a long time.

October 2nd, 2013