What's your rap album/mixtape of the year so far?

Why is it the album/mixtape of the year so far?

October 10th, 2013
KJones77's photo

Album: Pusha T — My Name Is My Name
Mixtape: Big K.R.I.T. — King Remembered In Time

October 10th, 2013

Old

October 10th, 2013

October 10th, 2013

Tie between Wolf and Acid Rap cause those were the only interesting projects I know of that came out this year.

October 10th, 2013

WMWTSO:

“Who the is Mac Miller?”. These are the words ushered by battle rapper Loaded Lux on WMWTSO. Over the past 2 years or so, many of his fans and music listeners in general have asked the same question. The question is posed as a mainstream Hip-Hop diss veering towards ‘You’re not popular’, however I interpreted it as ‘Where are you going stylistically?’.

Mac’s second studio album shows us maturity, both in his music and as a person. Mac elevated himself in every regard on this project, and I would like to break down how.

Production: This is probably the highlight of the album; the instrumentals, vocals and placement of the songs.

Mac enlisted the help of some pretty powerful names, from Pharell, to Chuck English, SAP (the genius behind ‘Donald Trump’) and FlyLo. Just play the first 10 seconds of each song, and you will hear for yourself the variation. You have sentimental, deep feeling tracks such as ‘REMember’, ‘Objects In The Mirror’ & ‘Someone Like You’. Fast paced, lively boom-bap sounds such as ‘Gees’, ‘OK’, ‘Watching Movies’, ‘Goosebumpz’ & ’S.D.S'. Colourful Piano Chords and Samples in ‘Avian’, ‘I’m Not Real’, ‘Red Dot Music’ & ‘Matches’ (BMSR Sample FTW). However, where the beats shine is when Mac decides to bring in introspective, slow sounds on the tracks ‘The Star Room’, ‘I Am Who Am’ & ‘Aquarium’. Mac even produced about ¼ of the album himself, under the name Larry Fisherman.

These songs are great individually, however, for me an album is at its best when it links. Mac utilized this incredibly well, whether it be Earl telling him to “go” (which is precisely what he did on S.D.S), again Lux asking who he is (which he then outlines on ‘Gees’) or Mac going from discussing his view on certain quote-on-quote important social/political/economical issues (‘Aquarium’) to him detailing his idea of what euphoria is (Youforia, which is the vagina). Finally his voice sounds a lot cleaner compared to previous work, and the vocals provided by Niki Randa are enchanting. Mac uses pitch vocals on a few songs also, so you can see the Odd Future influence.

Lyrics: I have loved Mac Miller since he started, but I even I can admit that his lyrics were never the greatest. Whether that be his lyricism, or what he is saying. On WMWTSO, Mac abolishes my thoughts. Mac decided to put it all on the line, and rap about many different topics, from his parents relationship, his own, his addiction to ‘lean’, celebrity culture, secret societies/conspiracies, his childhood, religion (a lot), money and its negative effects, even the human condition; (When ‘em high roller homes in Vegas/Raid them with some home invasions/Contaminating the place with plague, we just saved the day. 'I Am Who Am’).

His skills at conveying his thoughts also have improved. Lines such as “Not into this conversation/I’ve been in my head for hours” (Not into/Nodding to), “Money in machines/those will make you change”, “Jewish Buddhist consuming the views of Christianity”, “You got a clue/what does a clue get? Nothing” & “Make a collage and look at it through a kaleidoscope”.

Flow: This has always been Mac’s strong point, and it only gets better on this project. “Hyper than Williams' middle son since I was a little one moms had to put me on the Ritalin/ Made a swisher run crack the 40 then I lit a blunt/Told Chuck I had a couple raps so we kicked the drums.” Mac varies his tempo based on what he is talking about, but always keeps it interesting. Tracks such as ‘I Am Who Am’, ‘Watching Movies’ and ‘Gees’ best showcase this.

Features: Damn. Action Bronson, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Tyler, Earl, Jay Electronica? Mac certainly kept his ear to this best talent of the ‘new-school’.

All verses vary, from Bronson showcasing his already legendary rapping skills, Soul getting nostalgic about his childhood, Tyler hyping Mac up for a crazy song or Jay Electronica even rapping about female characters from actual movies.

WMWTSO is a piece of art that rivals any in hip-hop ever. I advise anyone to at least try 3 or 4 tracks. Remember, the dude is only 21, and has produced a future classic with some incredible replay value.

Just a quick review of the GOAT Album.

October 10th, 2013
LewAshby's photo

I swear, every week this thread, every single fucking week

October 10th, 2013
gloont's photo

I really want to hear more shit from this guy.

October 10th, 2013
Skizza306's photo

October 10th, 2013
Eon2323's photo

Danny Brown “Old” (WITHOUT A DOUBT)

Runner Up

October 10th, 2013
MFVoltron's photo

ALBUM

MIXTAPE

October 10th, 2013

AOTY

October 10th, 2013
knowsQmuch's photo

Acid Rap
(10 PC Mild by trinidad James was slept on though)

October 10th, 2013

Mac Miller

…so far…

October 10th, 2013
pajuxy's photo

Album: WMWTSO or My Name Is My Name

WMWTSO was Mac Miller at his best, experimenting with his usual jubilant party music and implementing a serious and concrete structure. He was able to lyrically flow over euphoric/mellow production meanwhile rapping about depression, love, life, difficulties, etc. His features were well-fitting and it was a very creative project in nature.

My Name Is My Name is a interesting album with great production and sensual and tactile subject matter. Pusha T really came through with this one with really memorable/catchy tracks like King Push, Hold On, Sweet Serenade, etc. The lyricism and charisma was just right in almost each song and I really overall just enjoyed the sounds and vibes.

Mixtape: Acid Rap or Summer Knights

Acid Rap was the first material I had ever heard from Chance the Rapper and it immediately caught my attention. He is not an artist I would wholesomely be interested in but Acid Rap was a soulful mixtape with dope beats, features, hooks, and composition.

October 10th, 2013