Poetic Rap

So for English I have to analyze a poem and how it uses literary devices (metaphors, similes, alliteration, etc.), so I figured I’d try to find a good verse, chorus, or poem by a rapper. One problem though, it can’t contain explicit language

The best I’ve thought of is the chorus to Respiration by Black Star

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

October 13th, 2013

If you’re looking for a poem by a rapper there won’t be long before someone show you The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac.

You should check Poetry Genius forum, though. You can find really good stuff there.

October 13th, 2013

All raps use rhythm, meter, & rhyme which could qualify them as poems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77zUWqawag

October 13th, 2013

@TheGift If i use that song should I use the first verse+chorus or the third verse? Can’t use the second because of language

October 13th, 2013

whats wrong with a 2 chainz verse?

October 13th, 2013

The third. It has way more metaphors.

October 13th, 2013

@macmillerstan
I never said it can’t be 2 Chainz
The only verse of his I considered was his verse on My Moment, but it had too much explicit language.

Actually, I just realized i could do the spoken word at the beginning of Black Unicorn

Thanks for the idea

October 13th, 2013

No pac sucks at poetic rapping and sucks in general. Lupe Fiasco is way better in general and poetic.

October 13th, 2013

Or you could do raps with explicit lyrics and just censor/change the cuss words. 2Chainz uses poetic elements, but it might be hard to get an A with a rapper who might not necessarily make thought provoking subject matter.

October 13th, 2013

@thegift
True, but censoring or changing takes away from the authenticity. And I’m not going to do a 2 Chainz verse for that reason

Black Thought’s verse on Bird Eye View has definitely been added to my list of potential songs

October 13th, 2013

The Coolest- Lupe Fiasco

Dear Moleskin — J. Elec

Gotta Eat — Lupe Fiasco

I Gave You Power — NaS

Amnesia — Blu.

You’re welcome.

October 13th, 2013

I cosign theGeekyMidget on that Blu — Amnesia joint.. I did the same thing for one of my classes & used it

October 13th, 2013

wasn’t there a thread on poetic raps? you should check it out, i think your work’s been done for you there already

October 13th, 2013

@DwaneKric Yeah, I checked it out

October 13th, 2013

All raps use rhythm, meter, & rhyme which could qualify them as poems.

You’ve never heard MF DOOM have you?

October 13th, 2013