Rap Genius Receipts

Ever purchase a CD or other merchandise from an artist and want to talk about it, show it off, review it or just share your thoughts on it? Well lucky day for you, because you have stumbled into the Rap Genius Receipts thread! Whenever you purchase any physical merchandise from an artist whether it be a CD or a sweater, come on in here and tell everyone why you bought it, if you recommend it and if it was worth it. It can be anything from one line to paragraphs, there is no length requirement, just say what you feel.

Show RG supports the artists they love not only in spirit but with our pocket lint!

Breakdown / Guide to Success

• Bring an image of the cover art or other apparel, if it’s a personal one you took all the better!
  • Give a reason why you bought it; what drove you to spend money on it and what made you aware of its existence. Did you already hear and enjoy it before you bought it?
  • Did you enjoy the purchase? Do you have any regrets?
  • Would you recommend the purchase? Feel free to review it if you want in any length of detail!

Can’t wait to see everyone’s growing collection and see what you enjoy enough to endorse with your hard earned allowances and why!

October 17th, 2013
MHealx's photo

Inb4 no one actually pays for anything on Rap Genius.

October 17th, 2013
Mitha's photo

Madvillainy is literally a perfect album.
MBDTF is a modern day classic.

Rap Genius introduced me to DOOM when I thought Tupac was the greatest rapper ever. I listened to Madvillainy and instantly fell in love with the production, and the witty rhymes of the lyrical mastermind.

October 17th, 2013
AKNC17's photo

I’ll post some pictures of my albums later when I can. I thought about making a thread like this a long time back but I saw that MyKro had a “your album collection” thread or something so I didn’t. Pio coming through.

October 17th, 2013

My two musical shrines.

October 17th, 2013
AKNC17's photo

Come on people, post your shieeet

Kinda blurry because it’s a bit dark, but

Jewel Cases

Rolling Papers, Deal Or No Deal, GKMC, Smokout Conversations (Signed), Hell Hath No Fury, and 36 Chambers.

Bought rolling papers because I actually really like it, people hate on wiz and call it a pop album but I still listen to it from time to time, Deal or No Deal is one of my favorite wiz projects and I’d never actually seen a physical copy of it so I had to cop it when I did, Hell Hath no fury for obvious reasons, GKMC because I thought kendrick delivered and I try to support albums I like, Smokeout Conversations I bought because you could get it autographed if you pre-ordered and it was only like 10 bucks, then 36 chambers for obv reasons.

DigiPaks and My Odd Future Stuff

OF Tape Vol.2, Channel Orange, BlackenedWhite, Numbers, Wolf, MBDTF, MOTM2, Indicud, WZRD

Hodgy’s my favorite OF Rapper so I really like mellowhype, I was trying to just get more of a collection going so I went ahead and bought the OF tape Vol.2 while I was at it. WOLF is still aoty for me, Channel orange I bought because I had some extra cash from some stuff I returned to amazon, MBDTF for obvious reasons and then Cudi is my all time favorite artist so I’m still working towards getting all his albums, I need MOTM1 and then I’m set. I’ve also got a rolling papers poster and a kid cudi canvas print in a poster frame but neither of them are currently hanging, I’ll probably post them when I hang them back up.

October 17th, 2013

Am still annoyed that here in England we didn’t get the digipak of WMWTSO, all my other albums (pretty much only OF/Ye) are.

October 17th, 2013

http://instagram.com/p/flfpflIPGg/

Vinyls.

ColloDrollo. BOATS. Illmatic.

Debut albums of three of my favorite rappers

October 17th, 2013

Sorry for the bad quality but you can make out which albums are there. Late Registration, MBDTF and Graduation are Kanye’s three best album’s IMO, in that order. Obviously there’s no Graduation in the picture, but there’s also a lot of CDs I have that aren’t either.

Anyway, top left is Isolation by I/O, I think some of you might have listened to that and I figured I’d buy it because the dude’s independent and only just starting out really. I think it’s a great project really, and the mixtape game has worked for a lot of these new R&B artists (Weeknd, Frank, ect) so I wish him well. Top middle, obviously, is channel ORANGE, don’t think I need to go into too much detail as to why that’s there. The deluxe edition of Back to Black is on the bottom left and I really only bought this because I always liked Tears Dry on Their Own as a teenager and I really liked Cherry Wine when I heard it. I just really liked her style, which I guess is mostly down to her producers but her voice is great, to me anyway.

Bottom right is The Electric Lady which I just think is amazing. I did buy the Archandroid after hearing this but I honestly prefer this album to her first one. I actually got the dl for this from someone on RG, luckily, and was kind of shocked I’d been sleeping on something so good but I’d say it’s definitely worth it, as are all of these.

Okay. So, the thing at the top of the picture is The Master, a collection of Marvin Gaye’s greatest songs. It’s got like four discs and they’re all pretty great but Disc 3 has the best for me. It has most of What’s Going On? which I think is one of the best albums ever (I mean I think 5 of the others in this picture are classics by my standards) but it also has Let’s Get It On and Troubleman. The highlight of disc 3 has to be the live performance of Distant Lover just because of the quality, how great he sounds live. It just sounds amazing, and the crowd just screams as soon as he hits the first note of the song.

October 18th, 2013

@Lucidity Haha, I think it was the week Janelle’s and The Weeknd’s album leaked and I made a thread titled “Sorry Lucidity” and I talked about how The Electric Lady was better. Someone else might’ve recommended it but i’m pretty sure it might’ve been me!

October 18th, 2013

Bought these 2 CD’s today. The first one is Poor Righteous Teachers' Pure Poverty, their 2nd album. It’s used but in good condition, cost $7. Poly told me about a record shop in Brooklyn, so I peeped it. I’ve seen better, but it’s not bad. I was hoping they had PRT’s New World Order album but no dice. That’s the only one that I’m missing.

The 2nd album is Black Milk’s No Poison No Paradise, which dropped this past tuesday. I copped it at Best Buy, it was $11.99 but with a Reward Zone certificate, I got $5 off. I’ve been a Black Milk fan since Popular Demand dropped in 2007. I’ve met him and seen him live several times, with his band and as part of Random Axe (alongside Guilty Simpson & Sean Price). He’s a decent enough rapper but his true talent is producing. Although, I’ve felt that his production has been lacking a bit since the Random Axe album, but apparently at least part of the reason is because he’s been focusing on his engineering skills lately. From a quick listening of the album, I enjoyed what I was hearing and it’s interesting that he decided to do a sort of concept album. His albums are usually braggadocio exhibitions. The album artwork is dope too, has a psychedelic vibe to it. The beats aren’t as loud and anthemic as before. Seems like it was a good purchase overall.

October 18th, 2013
RyKo's photo

October 18th, 2013

IceKrunk, I got the link from Rob and I’m pretty sure that was someone else………..

October 18th, 2013

So a month or two back, Rob Sonic decided to reprint two of his out of print albums on TheNine.com as well as personally sign them. I, having only heard a few tracks from him here and there decided to buy Sabotage Gigante because when i searched for a dl when I was broke I was unable to find out. Well 4 weeks passed and nothing came, eventually I went to twitter to ask him myself.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Sonic/status/389437122815332352

With in 24 hours I got a personal email letting me know they had troubles with thier distributor and where going to resend it with extra gifts! Well it arrived today!

But wait.. this package is far too large! Look what else he sent me FOR FREE

A shirt and a vinyl for his other album, so sick. Dude is too kind along with the personally signed apology. Will def buy from him again in the near future.

October 20th, 2013
MFVoltron's photo

I swore on my name that the first

EVER

album that I will buy is Jay Electronica’s Act II, no this is not a joke this was an oath that was legit made like 3-4 years ago……it’s because of this fact that I still tread the YOHOHO pirate life…

October 20th, 2013