Are lyrics becoming more important nowadays

I guess is Hip Hop coming back lyrically is what I’m getting at. What do you see happening 5 or so years from now?

October 29th, 2013
Maximus1's photo

inb4 downvotes

October 29th, 2013
sexy-mofo's photo

They’ve always been there, but I guess more people are starting to look for them now.

October 29th, 2013

“They’ve always been there, but I guess more people are starting to look for them now."
Yes.

If the audience pays more attention to the text, it will be better lyricism

October 29th, 2013

There’s definitely more lyricism than 5 years ago

October 29th, 2013

I see rap getting increasingly schizophrenic as a genre, with the lyrical and non-lyrical factions separating even more than they are already. So essentially my answer is yes and no

October 29th, 2013

It totally depends on the rapper. I mean lately Em has been all about extremely complex lyrics but has forgotten how to make a song catchy and then you see other rappers who can maintain a balance of lyrics and catchiness. It totally depends on who you listen to

October 29th, 2013

Rap has diversified its bonds, nigga

October 29th, 2013
Maboo's photo

RAP GENIUS has influenced hip-hop to refocus on lyrics; Kendrick told us that he had Rap Genius in mind while writing every word of GKMC

October 29th, 2013
October 29th, 2013

This era has more lyricism than the Ringtone Era (Thank God It’s Over).

October 29th, 2013

The lyricists started appealing to swag-fags and teenagers who eat up trends due to fashion and/or substance abuse as of recent, its as simple as that.

Like Kendrick Lamar for example, picture if he looked and dressed like Ab-Soul. He wouldn’t be half as financially successful as he is.

Ab-Soul is my favorite out of Black Hippy, as a side note.

October 29th, 2013