Eminem & His Fans: Exploring Age & Context. (By TyrantX)

MHealx's photo

Eminem is still making the same type of music on MMLP2 as he was on the MMLP. When I say “type” I refer to the basic story he tells; his struggle with women, a rebel within society and being the underdog.

When I first heard Eminem, it was on “The Eminem Show”, yes I was a little late to the party, but it wasn’t common for 12 year old’s to be listening to that type of music in Australia. I’m one of the oldest users of this forum, so anyone who says they heard Eminem’s work within a few years of it coming out, is full of shit. So, what did I think? I thought it was rebellious, that this guy had way more problems than I did and that it sounded cool because of the curse words. I never delved into Eminem much after that, until 3 years later in my high school years when my friend let me burn his CD of “Eminem Presents: The Re Up” in 2006. I listened to that shit non stop all summer, ended up going back and getting up to date with the rest of his work. Why??

Because now I was 15, Eminem’s problems were my problems.

The issue is age & context. It not only divides friends, but divides internet forums such as Rap Genius. I’m 22 now, I listen to Eminem’s earlier work and I feel a nostalgia to back when I was 15, but I don’t particularly relate to the issues he was going through. I don’t hate women, I don’t plan on rebelling agains’t my parents because I don’t even live with them and I’m not a flat broke teenager.

The “older” users (18+) on this forum feel as though MMLP2 is wack, while the younger generation (13-17) think it’s dope. Which is perfectly fine, because it all refers to age context. Em is still rapping to that demographic, he’s still rapping to the 13-17 year olds like he did back in 2000, however, this is a different generation.

So if you think about the context of age; To a 15 year old in 2013, Eminem has a technical rapping ability second to none, he tells (some) stories they can actually relate to, he doesn’t rap about money, bitches and cars like the YMCMB’s of the world and he’s “cool” to like, he’s a legend, who doesn’t like Eminem?

This is why he has, and always will be so successful, he’s very relatable, even if his music isn’t AS great as it was, it’s still, to a young fan of Hip Hop, better than listening to how Ace Hood woke up in a new Bugatti.

People may still ask, but why do the young kids like it, it’s trash? Yeah, it is, BUT think about it, compared to what’s coming out right now that has a mainstream reach like Eminem, what choice do these kids have? Who else is playing relatable songs on the radio? The older members of this forum grew up in Hip Hop renaissance, when Eminem, Jay Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, T.I, Jeezy, Game, 50 Cent etc etc were all in their primes.

What do you think? Are you a young fan of Hip Hop who’s listened to both MMLP & MMLP2, do you relate to both or only the recent version? Are you an older fan of Em and still relate to MMLP2?

Leave your thoughts below.

• TyrantX

November 2nd, 2013

You’ve made perfect points. Being almost 17, I’m not gonna lie and say I’ve been following Em since he released TES or MMLP because honestly I didn’t even know who Em was at the time. I had heard Without Me a long long time ago because my parents were playing it and that’s about it.

Everything you said was right, I started getting into Em around my 7th/8th grade years because he problems related to me. I stanned him because ya know, that’s what every 12/13 year old does when it comes to just getting into rap and stuff.

Then as I got older I started branching out and listening to other things. As I listen to more and more things, I’ll never stop liking Em’s work.

In my opinion, MMLP2 didn’t live up to my expectations and I don’t really believe it should’ve been called MMLP2. Nevertheless, it was a good album and I enjoyed listening through it. I can barely relate to most of it, but I feel like I connect with it through listening to his past music and seeing how far he has come now. It’s kind of like reading a really long ass story.

November 2nd, 2013

Part of it is also the stigma attached to him. My parents absolutely hated him, and I had to sneak MMLP and SSLP past my parents like the kid in the Without Me video. Listening to him felt like an act of rebellion, and now my parents don’t care so that feeling has been lost somewhat

November 2nd, 2013
MTL's photo

Eminem introduced a whole generation of kids to Hip Hop with that album, including me. Its cool to hear him acknowledge the impact he had on the world at that time. I really like this album because it reminds me of my childhood while impressing me lyrically.

November 2nd, 2013
MTL's photo

@123andtotha4

My mom made me delete Amityville from my mp3

November 2nd, 2013

this article takes me back to my teenage years.

November 2nd, 2013
SavvyRJA's photo

Agree with every, single, point. I’m 18 and the first hip-hop album i ever even had was The Eminem Show which was like for my 11th birthday in 05 and i did the same thing loved the album but didn’t really relate to it untill i was about 13/14, i then went back through all of his work which again i love, but i’m not just into him or his sound these days.

November 2nd, 2013

Good read, gret thread.

On the “his problems were my problems” point, what would u say about Recovery? I feel like he was targeting a more adult audience on that one. Talking about almost OD'ing and wanting to die, domestic violence (in a serious way this time), his best friend dying, etc….No skits, not a lot of joking around. Yet in still, 18+ members of the site didn’t really like it. Having said that, I’m 20 right now and I really enjoy Recovery, but I’m an exception.

November 2nd, 2013

Nothing to do with age, he’s rapping about the same things as before and he’s doing it in a worse manner. He’s just a boring listen now.

November 2nd, 2013
twrocks's photo

I am 16 years old but was lucky enough to have an ear for old school hip hop such as KRS-One, Beastie boyd, Wu-Tang Clan etc

I listened to eminems first 3 albums (excluding infinite) and loved them. My parents didn’t mind me listening to them.

I then heard MMLP2 and I loved it for different reasons. I thought it was completely different to the first MMLP but it sounded like an artist evolving. There is no chance of him making an album as good as MMLP but I think the people who hated the MMLP2 had expected something amazing and they felt let down while I didn’t have high expectations because I hated recovery, relapse and encore so I enjoyed MMLP 2 a lot more when it came out.

I am no eminem stan I am more into Nas but I do not believe this album should get the hate it is getting. There are a few songs that shouldn’t be on there but overall it is a great album.

November 2nd, 2013
MHealx's photo

@LozoLovesLovato

I think so too. Personally I didn’t think Recovery was total trash either, there were a few good tracks on it.

November 2nd, 2013
twrocks's photo

Thanks @TyrantX for making this thread. Really enjoyed reading it lets hope it doesn’t turn into a thread that becomes a war between the haters and stans!

November 2nd, 2013
MHealx's photo

@twrocks

No problem. It won’t, I’ll be deleting unnecessary comments.

November 2nd, 2013

LozoLovesLovato4 the reason of the hate of recovery is related on his change of style
The 18+ members of the site they surely listen eminem since infinite and seen those changes make them hate him.

Well i am 16 years and i start to listen in a deeply way to eminem since one year.
I had heard some of his song in between my 10-15 years old but when i start to listen all the good of his lyrics and his flow was one year ago, well a lot of people will say with a recovery song…hahaha noo the song was nevertheless if i had and then i start loving ems songs and know i know almost all his song except recovery that he changed.

But people change and we have to grow up right ?
For now i like mmlp2 but i have to listen it more and with the lyrics

November 2nd, 2013

I started listening to Eminem when I was 5 (got MMLP for Christmas, first rap CD ever). I’m now 18 and I really agree with your text. When I was a kid, I thought Em was the best and nobody could match him because I related more to him than a lot of mainstream artists of his time. However, as I grew up and started listening to the Wu-Tang Clan, Rakim, Nas, LL Cool J, The Roots, as well as noticing the rise of some of my favorite artists like Lupe Fiasco, BIG K.R.I.T., Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Kid CuDi, I figured out he wasn’t even close being the best rapper. He fell out hard, and even tho' MMLP will always be my favorite album (except maybe 36 Chambers or Food and Liquor), I believe he isn’t as good.

BUT WAIT! spoilers In my opinion, MMLP2 did recapture SOME moments about MMLP. I like how “Bad Guy” is Stan’s sequel. I like that skit which happened during Criminal from the first MMLP. “So Much Better” really felt like Kill You x Remember Me. I liked how “Legacy” caught that sweet “Stan” ambiance using piano and rain again. “Monster” is a pretty tolerable pop song. “Rap God” is good too, and “Brainless” is by far my favorite, reminding me of the classic “Brain Damage” off SSLP. “Headlights” is a really good song, I was surprised, I was happy to finally see him excuse himself to his mother, I felt like he went way too hard after her for way too long during his career, that was sad. end spoilers

November 2nd, 2013