Illmatic vs MBDTF

lilhook27's photo

Honestly to me the two Greatest Hip Hop albums of all time. Both have great production with Illmatic having the edge in lyricism and flow. But with MBDTF running away with production and overall sound. So my question to the RG community: Which one do you think is better and why? DEBATE!

November 17th, 2013
Alpha-Q-Up's photo

My personal preference is MBDTF.

November 17th, 2013
iaLm's photo

Damn its a hard question, as they are two of my all time favourite albums. As amazing as the lyricism is on Illmatic, I do enjoy listening to MBDTF more. I would argue though that Illmatic has had a bigger influence in the rap world. I can’t decide which is the ‘better’ album, but I prefer MBDTF to listen to, thats my answer.

November 17th, 2013
MYH's photo

This comparison is stupid as fuck

November 17th, 2013

Better is Illmatic, not only for the production and lyricism and flow but also for how groundbreaking it was to rap when it came out. Personal preferences are a different matter, but for being better Illmatic has a much better case

November 17th, 2013
A1_Day's photo

MBDTF, I love Illmatic for what it tried to do, and in retrospect, how influential it was, but MBDTF had the production, flow and lyrics that could not be touched.

Back to back to back songs-Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous and Power are as close as it gets to the level of NY State of Mind, Lifes A Bitch and The World Is Yours.

November 17th, 2013
Maximus1's photo

Clash of the titans tbr

November 17th, 2013
A1_Day's photo

Let me rephrase that, Illmatic obviously had the better lyrics, but MBDTF had everything else.

November 17th, 2013
Maximus1's photo

Also, I think this is the first time I’ve ever agreed with lilhook. It’s a weird feeling…

November 17th, 2013

Illmatic

November 17th, 2013

Illmatic: Every song is perfect, 10/10, except for One Time 4 Your Mind

MBDTF: Every song is perfect, 10/10, except for All of the Lights and Hell of a Life
So I guess Illmatic wins

Hard question to me though, both are in my personal top 5.
1. Illmatic
2. Enter The Wu-Tang
3. Madvillainy
4. MBDTF
5. OB4CL…

November 17th, 2013

Truth is…MBDTF beats llmatic in every catagory EXCEPT lyricism.

So lyrically Illmatic is better, but thats not the question.

The question is which one is the better Album

so it’s MBDTF, as a whole it’s better.

November 17th, 2013

this is such a random album to compare illmatic to seriously

November 17th, 2013
DiMES's photo

dumbass comparison from diffrent ass time periods

November 17th, 2013

Another Shitty thread by @REDRANGER

November 17th, 2013