Big L, rap's Len Bias?

I’m interested in the mass’s opinion. I guess that naturally fits Jay-Z into the Michael role, right? There are some cracks in the comparison but I pose the question none the less.

Bias, described by one draft scouting report as a bigger Jordan with a “better jump shot, but who didn’t go to the basket as well.‘ ”, has intrigued NBA fans ever since his tragic passing. Bias, drafted out of Maryland second overall by the C’s, died of a cocaine overdose just days after his selection. Sad stuff, kid could have been special. It’s not crazy to argue that he could have seriously altered the NBA as we know it or at the very least created an immensely profitable second Bird/Magic spot for the Association.

Not totally the same situation with Lamont Coleman but the question’s a fun one. Lamont Coleman, better known as Big L, was gunned down in native Harlem after eviscerating his freshman album with a flow entirely L. In post-Lamont New York, up-and-comer Jay-Z cuts through the city’s remaining competition and grabs the coveted throne after his freshman debut Reasonable Doubt sets peoples ears on fire. The dude then goes on a torrid growth rate until ultimately taking over the world as we know it. Homie went from slinging crack rock to shaking the President’s hand, I love it! Only in America (or Toronto)!

In fairness to Jay-Z, L was trying to get on the Roc before his death. I mean L has skills but Jay-Z is one cold, calculating mafucka. That dude could get water out of a rock; just printing money. Did L have that business acumen? Probably not. What do you guys think?

November 23rd, 2013
TMPBeats's photo

I feel that L and Jay would almost be like Kanye and Jay(but of course with Big L not producing).

November 23rd, 2013

L was going to sign with Roc-A-Fella. He just got killed before it ever was going to happen.

November 23rd, 2013

L was not going to sign with roc he even said it thats why he started promoting flamboyont

November 24th, 2013

Just wondering, does Jay Z ever mention Big L in any songs? He frequently mentions Biggie, but to me, it seems that him and L were better friends

November 24th, 2013
TMPBeats's photo

^ He’s never mentioned L. Not sure why, in many documentaries it says Big L and Jay Z were really good friends.

November 24th, 2013

@TMPBeats, that actually reminds me, what ever happened to the Big L documentary meant to come out last year?

November 24th, 2013
Barrk's photo

Kanye has mentioned Big L more than Jay

November 24th, 2013

@Barrk Thats some real fucked up shit

November 24th, 2013
November 24th, 2013

If so, damn.

November 24th, 2013
Barrk's photo

Well if Jay did it 0 times, I know for sure Kanye did it once in Glory & I think he did it again in one or two other songs.

November 24th, 2013

@Barrk He mentions him in Gone as well. I can’t find any references to Big L in any Jay songs

November 24th, 2013

Yep, off of Graduation, from “The Glory”:

I guess after I live I wanna be compared to B.I.G
Any one: Big Pun, Big L or Notorious
Fit in, get money and stunt and stay glorious — Kanye West

November 24th, 2013
TMPBeats's photo

@Illest_Son Tbh I quit following when the movie was suppose to be released now. It’s been…idk like 3 years since the due date was suppose to be made. His living brother Donald I beleive is supposely making it but shit idk anymore.

November 24th, 2013