Smartest Rap Lyrics

I don’t want your favorite lines like crap from Lil' Wayne or Drake that are kind of clever; I mean the super smart lines that actually contain complex usage of literary techniques and show the technical brilliance of an artist. I want “HOW IN THE FREAK DID HE THINK OF THAT?!?!” lines.

I’ll start with three from my boy Hova (respect the king).

“We run streets like drunks run street lights” — Never Change (great metaphor)

“Aww man I’m Jackie Robinson/ ‘Cept when I run base I dodge the pen” — Brooklyn Go Hard (quadruple entendre)

And finally, probably my favorite in all of rap: “Helicopter swooped down just to get a scoop/ Through his telescopic lens but he didn’t scoop you” — Minority Report (irony, imagery, wordplay, social and political commentary)

It’s so hard to only choose three of his, they’re all amazing. Now you! As many as you want it doesn’t have to be three.

December 9th, 2013

ask beavis i get nothin' butthead

December 9th, 2013

Tripping off the beat kinda, dripping off the meat grinder
Heat niner, pimping, stripping, soft sweet minor
China was a neat signer, trouble with the script
Digits double dipped, bubble lipped, subtle lisp midget

December 9th, 2013

Border line skitzo, sorta fine tits though,

December 9th, 2013

I’m not sure why you called Drake crap. If you take a song like 5 AM in Toronto, for example, you will find that Drake can be pretty clever.

December 9th, 2013

Fuck being second, Imma third-guess it
May be new, but I’m fly like a bird peasant

December 9th, 2013

•I’m dressed to kill, so if I look in the mirror it’s suicide.

December 9th, 2013
Deivid's photo

They call me Jay Electronica — fuck that Call me Jay ElecHanukkah, Jay ElecYarmulke Jay ElectRamadaan, Muhammad A'salaamaleikum RasoulAllah Subhanahu wa ta'ala through your monitor

December 9th, 2013
FrioMind's photo

It will never be my chair that you on
Wear the crown so tight that it cuts of circulation to the brain
in other words there’s no heir to the throne- Eminem- despicable freestyle

em says you can never be the king he wears the crown tight so blood nor air(heir)
can to his head
the phrase heir to the throne means next in line for royalty but if their is no “air” to the throne then he will reign forever

December 9th, 2013
FrioMind's photo

@HypeNapagura
That has to be the wackest line i’ve heard by DOOM

December 9th, 2013

@LozoLovesKatDahlia and everyone else who was offended by the first sentence, let me be clear about this. I personally don’t like either Wayne or Drake but I have seen both of them be clever. (I actually do really like 5 AM in Toronto) But that’s not what I’m looking for. I don’t want punch lines that you know the rapper was reaching for. They just happened to come up with some wordplay so they wrote a lead-in to it and put it in a song. I want the just plain brilliant lyrics that are smart not clever because they are above the regular wordplay that you can find from almost any rapper. I want to hear the higher level writing not the puns. Two more examples from Jay:

“Yeah you’re shining but the only thing you’re leaving out/You’re a candle in the sun, that shit don’t even out” — Hola Hovito (great metaphor, complex double entendre, and some humor)

“I don’t half step on the ‘caine/Kane/cane” — Hello Brooklyn (triple entendre using homophones)

Keep trying guys!

December 9th, 2013

Am still going to post “crap” from Lil Wayne even though he sux and is not real hiphop and should be working at McDonald’s:

“They say numbers don’t lie, bitch I’m not the one”

December 9th, 2013
Dillinger's photo

I already know the deal but what the fuck do Itell my son?
I want him livin right, livin good, respect the rules
He’s five years old and he still thinkin cops is cool
How do I break the news that when he gets some size
He’ll be percieved as a threat or see the fear in they eyes
It’s in they job description to terminate the threat
So 41 shots to the body is what he can expect

Talib Kweli

December 9th, 2013
LewAshby's photo

OP, I get that you’re thinking “this is a hip-hop site, I’ll get good with people by saying stuff against Drake & Lil Wayne"
Yes, maybe not many people like them, it’s been debated around here countless times, but the fact of the matter is; by starting your thread with that kinda shit, you’re announcing yourself as already annoying, and no one’s gonna take you seriously.
"Lil Wayne is a faggot” may get you LIKES on Facebook, but on here we do expect a minimum of open-mindness, or at the very least opinions backed up with arguments
Don’t be a cliché

December 9th, 2013

@LewAshby I wasn’t dissing Lil' Wayne or Drake when I was saying that and I especially wasn’t doing it for likes. In fact it will probably have the opposite effect, social suicide kind of. I just meant that people always post stuff from them that is clever, the punchlines and stuff. That’s not what I wanted. I think it’s pretty safe to say that no one will ever come close to Big L in punchlines. When other rappers try to be “clever” I often feel like they’re overreaching. I can come up with some nice puns and I’m sure you all of you can drop some sick bars too. I don’t want to see the regular wordplay that has become a necessary component in hip hop. I want the less obvious more unique lines. Pay attention to the examples that I gave. Notice that I explained why those lines were unique, they don’t just flip a phrase or use a pun. The lines use some seriously complex literary techniques that actually show how smart Jay is and not just how funny he can be. Jay has some regular wordplay too but I don’t care about those lines. I want the really smart stuff and Wayne and Drake just don’t do it the same. Here is the difference — regular wordplay form Jay: “You draw, better be Picaso, you know the best/Cause if this is not so, ehh God bless” now that’s some nice wordplay. It’s clever and funny and just plain sick but it’s not genius just clever. I want stuff like this “[I’m from] Where you can’t put your vest away/ And say you’ll wear it tomorrow cause the day after they’ll be saying ‘Damn, I was just with him yesterday’”. Jay truly captures the idea that if you let your guard down in the ghetto even for a second the result could be devastating, and he does it by demonstrating the unexpectedness and suddenness of death and uses people’s natural reflection when faced with a loss to connect with listeners. That is what I’m looking for. So I once again apologize to those who speak on behalf of Wayne and Drake; I was only trying to keep out the cliche punchlines and puns that plague the smart lyric threads.

December 9th, 2013