What's the Deal with 50 Cent and Street King Immortal?

Okay, 50 Cent isn’t by any means my favorite rapper, not even in my top 30. But there’s no denying that he was one of the biggest musicians in the world at some point; there was not a time I could walk down the street and see something related to G-Unit in some way. I know everyone has their peaks, and in terms of quality, his seemed to be right at the start with Get Rich or Die Tryin'. Regardless of that, he was bringing up Street King all year this year with singles supported from Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dogg, Young Jeezy, Adam Levine, Too $hort and plenty others.

Hell, The Game of all people got his Jesus Piece album from Interscope out the door, and it’s safe to say he’s had waaay more label woes with them in the past than 50 has, and didn’t need a Billboard #1 hit to do it. It sold around 300,000 copies (more than the R.E.D. Album) with less singles and was actually a great listen too, and now he’s with Cash Money/Republic. Hell, fucking Nelly fell off harder than Fiddy and he STILL managed to squeeze one out this year.

Is it because he knows he doesn’t have it like that anymore so he won’t try at this point? Just the times he’s in? Regardless of what he does, he’s still sitting on a pretty penny at the end of the day.

December 19th, 2013

Whatchu guys think?

December 19th, 2013
Barrk's photo

I think the lack of response is a testament to how far 50 has fallen off.

December 19th, 2013

@Barrk I was bout to say, I think this may have just answered my question. :P

December 19th, 2013
HMN's photo

Yeah I don’t know. It’s a shame cause I was actually anticipating it. His last album was a strong comeback imo and I was looking forward to finally hearing something new from him.

I don’t even think 50 would’ve faded into irrelevancy if he just tried. If he consistently put out music I think he’d at least be on a Busta Rhymes or Jadakiss level of mainstream relevancy. But for some reason, he just gave up and chose to focus on his business ventures instead.

It’s his choice what he wants to do with his life, but like I said, it’s a shame to see him stop caring like this. I don’t think he ever reached his full potential with any of his albums (not even GRODT).

December 19th, 2013

He clowned Ja Rule then did what Ja did and black listed himself to the point no one outside of Aftermath will deal with him.

December 19th, 2013

@MonsterRhymes How so? With the sing-song hooks or just trying to be the bully on the block and diss everyone? Or both?

December 19th, 2013

@HateMeNow Yeah, the guy’s truly smart and a hitmaker; his mixtapes are still pretty good too.

December 19th, 2013
December 19th, 2013
broheet's photo

He is having trouble with Interscope records and Jimmy Iovine so the album is pretty much shelved right now. He does have a mixtape coming out in January tho #smsaudio

https://twitter.com/50cent/status/411277799073538048

December 19th, 2013

@MonsterRhymes Besides, when your roster is the most respected hip hop producer in the game, the biggest selling artist of the decade, and now the most acclaimed new artist this generation, I wouldn’t say that’s a bad thing. Not to mention Slaughterhouse and Shady family and his own producers under his belt (Jake One), I’d say he has all he would need to make good music still.

December 19th, 2013

@broheet Fiddy must’ve fucked his wife on the low, because Game and M.I.A. got their albums out under the label. It could be the fault of both parties in some way, IDK.

@MonsterRhymes Don’t see the link.

December 19th, 2013

He released 3 singles with Kendrick, Em, Snoop and Jeezy and none oof them took off except for the Em one for short period. Problem is he’s not going to get backed by Jimmy Iovine and Dre. Also, he’s had opportunities to sign artists such as Nicki Minaj, Danny Brown and J. Cole, but instead signed Kidd Kidd and Precious Paris. Shady Records artists' sales have not been up to par as the previous artists' sales when em was in a groove. 50 probably scared that he won’t sell enough units and get promoted enouhgh. He hasn’t evolved as an artist unfortunately either.

December 19th, 2013
rluq's photo

I’m going to say because he burned all his bridges and no one ‘hot’ want to collab with him or the fact that he feels that he doesn’t need to rush the project because he is caught up with his business deals.

December 19th, 2013

the first couple singles off street king fucking knocked, i was hoping the album would drop last year

December 19th, 2013