Top 3 Rap AOTY 00'-09'

I made a similar thread to this a while ago about the 90’s but I didn’t explain why I even liked the albums. I’m making this list to help people discover new music to listen to, or convince people to get music they have procrastinated on listening to. (These are in order from worst to best)

Eminem — Marshall Mathers LP

One of the most overrated albums on this forum, So I am sure you guys know what this album is all about. Lyrically, this is probably one of the best albums of his time. Eminem is funny and at the right times serious. A big downside to this album is the beat selection but it can be easily overlooked as Eminem can keep your attention the whole ride through with his lyrics.

Best track: Kill You
Worst Track: Kim

Outkast — Stankonia

Stankonia is one of the albums I would recommend to anyone new to hip hop. They combine features from previous critically acclaimed albums before it such as Bizarre Ride II with its hilarious lyrical content, It Takes a Nation of Millions with its political subjects and 3ft High and Rising with its hilarious skits. Plus they just sound good to the ears, the beats on this album are weird which is what I love so much about it, they fit the flows of Andre 3k and Big Boi so well you can’t really see someone rapping over these beats other than them. Best produced album of this year.

Best track: B.O.B.
Worst track: Toilet Tisha

Ghostface Killah — Supreme Clientele

Not going to lie I wasn’t the biggest fan when I first heard it, but after giving it a couple more listens and reading the lyrics this got to be one of my favorite albums from last decade. Lot of dope tracks on this album and it rides all the way through. Ghostface proves he’s one of the best story tellers in the game on this album and kicks shit in a almost a different language. It’s Wu so you know the shit is gonna be dope, buy this album.

Best Track: Nutmeg/One
Worst Track: Cherchez LaGhost

Honorable Mention: Common — Like Water For Chocolate

Masta Ace — Disposable Arts

This is the fourth studio album from one of the most underrated MC’s of all time. It’s a concept album that follows a young Brooklyn man’s release from prison, his return home, and his life at “The Institute of Disposable Arts”, a school in which Ace enrolls after realizing how bad the situation in Brooklyn is. Dope album, I just wouldn’t recommend it to everyone.

I can’t really rate the tracks on this album since they all come together as a story

Ludacris — Word of Mouf

You guys probably didn’t see this one coming but DON’T SLEEP on this album. I never see this album on top 10 lists anywhere mainly because critics don’t even bother with southern rap (especially back in the day) This album is hilarious and I enjoyed it more than I thought I actually would. This album is backed by great production as well with beats by Timbaland, Swizz Beatz, Mr. Bangladesh and Organized Noise (The guys who produced for OutKast and “Waterfalls” by TLC). Download it, I promise you will like it.

Best track: Growing Pains
Worst track: Saturday (Oooh Oooh!)

Jay Z — The Blueprint

It should really come as no surprise this is my number one. Some people really don’t like Jay Z but I can’t really understand why with albums like Reasonable Doubt, The Black Album, and this one. Jay Z does everything right on this album, while it’s not lyrically Reasonable Doubt he’s still spitting better than most people in the game at the time. He comes with different kinds of flows on every track and does it over amazing production. He’s backed by producers such as Just Blaze, Timbaland, Eminem and of course, Kanye West. Classic album right here.

Best track: all of em except “Jigga That Nigga"
Worst track: Jigga That Nigga

Honorable Mention: Nas — Stillmatic

Nas — God’s Son

This to me is Nas' second best album behind Illmatic of course. Some of the beats on this album are straight fire (Get Down, and Made You Look being great examples) and I think it’s one of Nas' best produced albums since his debut. On this album he is so fierce and plain spoken with his lyrics as well and reminds me of Rakim on this album.

Best track: Made You Look
Worst track: Hey Nas

Talib Kweli — Quality

If lyrical skill sold records, this would be one of the highest selling hip-hop records of all time. Talib Kweli in my opinion still never came close to topping this album or his Black Star album with Mos Def. Nothing is really wrong with this album, Talib has a nice flow and great lyrical content and even the production is great, backed by amazing producers such as the late great J Dilla, Kanye West and West Coast Legend DJ Quik.

Best track: Get By
Worst track: Waitin' for the DJ

Scarface — The Fix

Probably Face’s best album. Face’s heightened spiritual awareness and ominous street tales on The Fix helped make this a southern classic and an essential album for all hip-hop heads. Also backed by great production from Kanye West (In Cold Blood, Guess Who’s Back, Heaven) and The Neptunes (Someday)

Best track: On My Block
Worst track: What Can I Do

Honorable Mention: Clipse — Lord Willin

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

This is probably OutKast’s worst album, but it’s still an amazing project. It’s basically 2 solo albums (Big Boi’s Speakerboxxx & Andre’s The Love Below) Combined into one OutKast double album. One of the things that turned me off of this album is how many tracks it has. There are a total of 39 tracks on here which leads to a lot of filler. However this is the most approachable OutKast album to people who aren’t big hip hop fans, and it’s the best selling rap album of all time

Best track: Roses
Worst track: Last Call

50 Cent — Get Rich or Die Tryin

This is probably one of the last great gangsta rap albums. Every beat on this album is banging and there is a song for everything, The club hit, a song for the ladies, a song about getting high, and a song about blasting niggas. Still is a hard album 10 years later.

Best track: Many Men
Worst track: Blood Hound

Jay Z — Black Album

This should really come as no surprise to you guys either. Every track on here still bangs till this day. This could of dropped yesterday and no one would really be talking about how the production is dated. Jay Z is hooked up with producers like Just Blaze, Kanye West, DJ Quik, Eminem and Rick Rubin to drop another classic. I assume yall have listened to this album already so there is no point of really going on from here. Plus this was Jay Z’s last album. (Before he retired and came back in 2006)

Best track: PSA
Worst track: Justify My Thug (Still a great song)

Honorable Mention: GangStarr — The Ownerz

Madvillian — Madvillainy

The best rapper with no chain you’ve ever heard. One of the best underground hip-hop albums of the decade. You can obviously see a Wu-Tang Clan influence in MF Doom but he is really his own thing. Production is unique on this album, no other rap albums were sounding like this at the time and of course the lyrics are on equal level. I’m having a hard time explaining this album, but get it. It’s great (It’s only at #3 because 2004 was a great year in hip-hop)

Best track: Figaro
Worst track: Rainbows

MF Doom — Mm..Food

Yes another MF Doom project. Pretty much the same things I said about Madvillainy I could say about this album. I just liked this one more because of the better beats and shorter length. It’s really all personal preference.

Best track: Beef Rapp
Worst track: Guinnesses

Kanye West — College Dropout
http://getvideoartwork.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47167&g2_serialNumber=3 This was the first hip hop album I was ever introduced to and it made me fall in love with hip hop. First of all it’s Kanye so you know the production is going to be great. People complained about having too many skits but I think the skits are actually pretty funny and help the album flow together better. Plus Kanye’s witty storytelling and hilarious punchlines made College Dropout an all-round classic that can appeal to any hip hop fan.

Best track: Family Business
Worst track: New Workout Plan

Honorable Mention: De La Soul — The Grind Date

Lil Wayne — Tha Carter II

This is the album that made Lil Wayne famous. This might have been the time where he was indeed one of the best rappers alive, he shows off his flow and lyrical abilities on the record and it’s probably his best album he’s ever put out (Even better than Tha Carter III). Lil Wayne might be the laughing stock of hip-hop now, but when he is at his best he is nothing to be laughed at.

Best track: Hustler Musik
Worst track: Fireman

Kanye West — Late Registration

This album is simply amazing, It pretty much took fixed everything that College Dropout had wrong with it and added more. So many great tracks on this album such as “Heard Em Say”, “Touch The Sky”, “Addiction”, “Hey Mama”, “Drive Slow” and much more. This album also has great feature verses from rappers like Jay Z, Lupe Fiasco, and Nas. I think another album beat this one out though.

Best track: All of them
Worst track: None

Common — Be

Now THIS is an amazing album. This is probably one of the greatest comeback albums ever, coming off Electric Circus which got mixed reviews from critics, Common was viewed as an aging MC who was losing his touch but this album changed all that. Common came back more concious and lyrical than ever and was backed by some of the greatest producers at the time like Kanye West and J Dilla. If you have not listened to this album yet I strongly recommend you download it. It won’t be a waste of time.

Best track: The Corner
Worst track: none

Honorable Mention: Game — Documentary

Ghostface Killah — Fishscale

It’s Ghostface, another Wu project so you know its gonna be great. If you liked his previous albums such as Supreme Clientele or Ironman you will love this album. It all plays like one big movie and has every thing that a Wu album has, great feature artists, hard gritty beats, and the lyrics. We all know what the Wu and Ghostface is about, must listen.

Best track: Clipse of Doom/Shakey Dog/The Champ
Worst track: Three Bricks

Lupe Fiasco — Food & Liquor

I’m sure you guys know why this album is so great, we do have alot of Lupe fans on this forum. Lupe raps about skateboarding, kid’s lacking a father figure, misconception of Islam in American Culture, and other subjects such a racism and gun culture. Also a must listen

Best track: Daydreamin'
Worst track: Instrumental

Clipse — Hell Hath No Fury

Hell Hath No Fury is a genius album. I’m usually not that big of a fan of 2000’s Gangsta and Coke rap but this changed my opinion on it. From “We Got It for Cheap” to “Nightmares” this album rides the whole way through without a single boring moment and exotic danceable beats provided by Pharrell from the Neptunes. This is also one of my most replayed albums, I always seem to be going back and listening to great tracks like “Mama I’m So Sorry” or “Wamp Wamp”.

Best track: Momma I’m So Sorry
Worst track: Dirty Money

Honorable Mention: The Roots — Game Theory

Kanye West — Graduation

It’s another Kanye album, yep. This is definetley one of my favorites of his though. Yall know what he’s about, yall know what this albums gonna be like. Cop it.

Best track: Flashing Lights
Worst track: Drunk and Hot Girls

Jay Z — American Gangster

If there was a Reasonable Doubt 2, this is it. This is Jay Z’s strongest album since coming off retirement and it’s nothing to be slept on. A lot of this album reminds me of Reasonable Doubt, and that’s not a bad thing at all. It’s also a concept album, similar to a movie so I suggest you listen to the full album front to back rather than pick out random tracks. There was no time I was really bored with this album.

Best track: Say Hello
Worst track: Hello Brooklyn 2.0 (still a great track)

Lupe Fiasco — The Cool

Lupe comes back the next year with an album even stronger than his debut. The only thing bad about this one is that the beats are not as good as they were on Food & Liquor, but Lupe makes up for that with his storytelling and subjects. On The Cool he raps about things such as a struggling rapper finally making it in the business, a girl who was raped, children with guns, and a song for his girl. If you liked Food & Liquor, you will love this album.

Best track: Little Weapon
Worst
Put You On Game

Honorable Mention: UGK — Underground Kingz

Nas — Untitled

This is probably one of Nas' most concious and political albums to date. With songs like “Sly Fox” where he rips up Fox News and “Black President” where he ponders wether or not Barack Obama will help the ghettoes. In a weak year in hip hop this is a slept on gem

Best track: Sly Fox
Worst track: Testify

Lil Wayne — Tha Carter III

It’s more Lil Wayne. It’s definitely not as good as the mixtape he dropped in 07' Da Drought 3 or his previous solo album Tha Carter II but it’s just Weezy being Weezy. Great flow, hard beats and crazy but hilarious punchlines. Great album.

Best track: Let the Beat Build
Worst track: La La

Q-Tip — The Renaissance

Q-Tip’s The Renaissance is a breath of fresh hip hop air that we have been missing in such a mediocre filled year of hip hop. This is just a funky album and it’s so timeless, it’s so hard to believe Q-Tip was 38 when he dropped this because he still sounds young and energy filled on this album. This shit will still bump when Q-Tip is 80. Classic.

Best track: All of them
Worst track: None

Honorable Mention: T.I. — Paper Trail

Slaughterhouse — Slaughterhouse

“If you’ve ever wanted to see four individually acclaimed wordsmiths band together for the sheer purpose of rewiring hip-hop’s current disposition while staying true to the game’s fundamentals, then this is your chance.” I couldn’t have said it any better. Joe Budden, Royce, Crooked l, and Joell Ortiz. Dope ass album cop it.

Best track: Sound Off
Worst track: Onslaught 2

Mos Def — The Ecstatic

Mos Def has struggled with inconsistency in the past, I would say his last good album before The Ecstatic was Black on Both Sides and that came out 10 years before this project. It really is a breath of fresh air that Mos is back to spittin fire again. Album also features hip hop legened Slick Rick and frequent collaborater Talib Kweli. In a dull year a hip hop this is a gem.

Best track: Auditorium
Worst track: No Hay Nada Mas

Raekwon — OB4CL2

Such a breath of fresh air. Ya’ll already know what the deal is with Wu projects I went over this many times. If you wanna hear an album that brings some old school to the table but still keeps stuff fresh then Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is the answer. Rarely do sequels ever live up to their predeccessor wether it’s Movies, Games, or Music. But this one is the complete opposite of a bad sequel.

Best track: Sonny’s Missing
Worst track: Kiss The Ring

Honorable Mention: Eminem — Relapse

Thoughts? Any albums you would recommend to me that are better than any of these?

December 24th, 2013
HMN's photo

This nigga just said Toilet Tisha is the worst track on Stankonia…

but for real, nice job putting a lot of effort into this thread

December 24th, 2013

:daps:

December 24th, 2013

lost me at MMLP being overrated

December 24th, 2013

@HateMeNow there aint no worst track on stankonia, but toilet tisha is the track i didn’t really enjoy as much at the others

December 24th, 2013
BayBiz's photo

No love for the West Coast?

December 24th, 2013
Messages's photo

Good Thread and I mostly agree, but you really think “Kim” is the worst track on MMLP?!

December 24th, 2013

@freedl21 yeah, i thought it was just obnoxious to listen to.

December 24th, 2013

@BayBiz West Coast fell off hard in the 00’s but I did give Documentary an honorable mention (or 4th best album of 2005)

December 24th, 2013

Best track: all of em except “Jigga That Nigga"
Worst track: Jigga That Nigga

LOL perfect description.

Anyway, I think that this is a great list, and I enjoyed your short and precise descriptions of the albums. Keep it up.

December 24th, 2013
LuzIDStan's photo

I think you forgot J Dilla Donuts for 2006…

December 24th, 2013

@JDillaStan I think you forgot this is my opinion….

December 24th, 2013
LuzIDStan's photo

@PrinceRakeem xD good list though, tbh

December 24th, 2013
Trane's photo

You definitely missed ‘the Eminem show’

December 24th, 2013

Stillmatic > The BLueprint imo

but I mostly agree with this list

December 24th, 2013