Elmatic > Illmatic

Now, I know you’ll all say “A remake can’t be better than the original” and I agree to an extent, but hear me out.

I’m not saying that Illmatic was bad in any way. However, if you look at the lyricism on Elmatic it’s just mind-blowing (not that Illmatic isn’t). Plus, his flow is near flawless.

Now, of course Illmatic is technically “better” because it came first and set the foundations, but am I crazy for liking Elzhi’s verses more than Nas’s?

January 11th, 2014

I found Elzhi’s delivery very off-putting unlike Nas. I have to disagree with you good sir.

January 11th, 2014

@Illest_Son

Elzhi’s delivery was basically Nas’s delivery though. I personally preferred Elzhi’s voice and wordplay a lil bit more. Also the producing on Elmatic was on point in terms of updating while also doing justice to the original illmatic instrumentals

January 11th, 2014

@tiggerwoody eh I prefer the original production, the updated production hit me the wrong way I guess. Idk, to me, Elzhi seemed very choppy on his delivery and flow, which put me off, so I don’t really see the Nas in him.

January 11th, 2014

January 11th, 2014

@Illest_Son Listen to his album The Preface, it’s also good! You might warm up to him with a few songs from that.

But I love both of these! I honestly like his version of One Love, It Ain’t Hard to Tell, Life’s a Bitch, and The World is Yours better than the originals. And just know I’m saying that when I personally hold Nas as my favorite MC on the planet.

They were at least on par with it. He didn’t have to copy paste it word for word; he gave it a different perspective and he’s just as good as Nas lyrically too.

And remember, I’m saying this as a person that stans Nas hard. (Pause.)

January 11th, 2014