"Gorgeous"

In “Gorgeous”, there’s a line in Kanye’s third verse:

And what’s a black Beatle anyway? A fucking roach?

Do you think Kanye has done as much for Hip Hop as the Beatles did for Rock?

discuss

January 13th, 2014
S3B's photo

Yes he did as many drugs as the beatles

January 13th, 2014
HMN's photo

implying the beatles can compare to Yeezus

January 13th, 2014
Barrk's photo

Yes

1. Produced The Blueprint (5 mics) a classic
  2. Innovated production and hooks with The College Dropout & Late Registration
  3. In a time of gangster/sex/drug rap Kanye made nice stuff, popularizing that
  4. 808s invented a whole new subgenre (Cudi & Drake gotta thank him)
  5. MBDTF is one of the greatest albums ever production wise & overall quality wise is probably top 10 oat
  6. Highest grossing rap tour ever (WTT)
  7. Now innovating even more with what he did on Yeezus
January 13th, 2014

Both are trend-riders who are commonly credited with popularising stuff (and often mistakenly credited with inventing stuff)

January 13th, 2014
Barrk's photo

Also has several plat & multi plat albums & 3 cemented classics + 3 more albums that are arguable (or have the potential to become over time)

January 13th, 2014

@Barrk

i agreed with everything except the

“808s invented a whole new subgenre (Cudi & Drake gotta thank him)”

Why does cudi have to thank him? cudi was doing his alternative hip hop subgenre thing before 808s. Cudi was ON one of the best songs of the album and even helped write 2 songs (cant think of them) on 808s. But i will admit it popularized it idk about invent.

Drake, gambino, etc.. sure, but idk about cudi.

January 13th, 2014

I love comparing Kanye and the Beatles, but in terms of impact Kanye can’t really compare. Not yet anyway.

Today there are too many things to choose from for anyone to have the impact that Ringo had. It wasn’t like you had the choice between thousands of artists and hundreds of genres and sub-genres in the 60’s. An entire generation of kids grew up on that shit (everybody got pregnant after the war, so there was a lot of'em), and so it was the inspiration for a lot of people.

Plus, the Beatles' influence goes way beyond ‘rock’, so it’s really not a fair comparison.

January 13th, 2014

Both are trend-riders who are commonly credited with popularising stuff (and often mistakenly credited with inventing stuff)

Even as a Kanye fan, I must concede that @123andtotha4 is “spitting that he could pass a polygraph”, but I don’t believe Kanye didn’t invent no trend.

I believe that Ye innovates or excels on the trends that he followed.
He still adds his distinctive sound to the trends that he follows so I would never call Ye a biter or unoriginal. When I listen to his music they mostly don’t sound trendy to me except ironically The College Dropout on lil more than a few tracks.

I believe that just like the Beatles Kaanye’s influence transcends above only his music genre that is hip-hop.

January 13th, 2014

Yes
Changed the game with College Dropout, created the yeezes, startede the black leather pants trend etc. He had a major inpact in toadys Hip Hop, and still manages to always be at the top and setting trends

January 14th, 2014

@DaMcGriddle Implying as if the Rolling Stones didn’t SQUASH those Pop Rock bugs and had balls,and a true “Rock” sound. They are the overrated, hippest, atrociously, annoying fucking band someone ever forced me into “liking them because they’re popular” They’re mostly a groupie’s band, before ratchets became ratchet, “Ratchet Rock”.

January 14th, 2014

The Beatles ARE the most overrated, etc.

January 14th, 2014

@DarkThoughtsGreyDreams knos reel music guise

January 14th, 2014
Dillinger's photo

1.Produced The Blueprint (5 mics) a classic
2.Innovated production and hooks with The College Dropout & Late Registration
3.In a time of gangster/sex/drug rap Kanye made nice stuff, popularizing that
4.808s invented a whole new subgenre (Cudi & Drake gotta thank him)
5.MBDTF is one of the greatest albums ever production wise & overall quality wise is probably top 10 oat
6.Highest grossing rap tour ever (WTT)
7.Now innovating even more with what he did on Yeezus

1. He is credited for the production of 4 songs, that means he produced 1/3 of The Blue print, an album horribly overrated and incredibly mediocre in my opinion.
  2. I don’t see how he innovated hooks. You are right about the production though
  3. You’re right there as well. He brought conscious rap back in the mainstream consciousness
  4. What sub-genre do you think he invented?
  5. That is your personal opinion therefore I’m not going to comment that.
  6. /
  7. What exactly is innovative about Yeezus? But I guess that’s your opinion as well
January 14th, 2014

January 14th, 2014