Why Macklemore isn't wack (just stupid)

Everybody is right to be pissed off because the Grammy people fucked up again (which they did) and handed the hardware to Macklemore. We the majority at RG can all agree that Kendrick is the far better MC and GKMC is the far better album. But is Macklemore really that bad?

Chances are, if you dislike Macklemore you got sick of hearing Thrift Shop, Same Love, and Can’t Hold Us on the radio. Its fair to dismiss them as mediocre pop songs with weak lyrics and even dislike his choice to bring gay rights into hip hop.

But why do three mediocre singles define a rapper’s talent and skill? Therein lies Macklemore’s dumb mistake. He chose to release the three songs that would gain the most attention from the mainstream, pop community when only one was needed, in turn alienating many of you from his music before ever getting a chance to listen to it. The Heist is not a brilliant album, but the rest of it is worth listening to.

Seattle and the underground were enjoying his music long before it gained national exposure for a reason. If you want definite proof that this white guy can spit, go listen to The Language of My World, which he released in 2005. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVRlM-kSx8

Further proof? Listen to the mixtapes he released a few years later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDQy53eldY

And while you’re at it, play the songs you didn’t listen to on The Heist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwW6ERgpvo

Why did half of TDE collab with this guy BEFORE he had even made it if they didn’t think he was good?

Inb4 tl;drs and haters

January 28th, 2014

OP’s thread title is conflicting with information presented.

January 28th, 2014

W8, so why is he stupid?

January 28th, 2014

I think he meant he’s stupid for dropping 3 poppy singles that made many rap fan at hate him.
But I agree with what you said

January 28th, 2014

This is what I’ve been trying to say from the get go.

January 28th, 2014

*rap fans hate him

January 28th, 2014

@xWHALESHARKx I SUMMON YOU!

(We’re talking about Macklemore)

January 28th, 2014

i love how no one gives a shit about his boy ryan lewis

January 28th, 2014

why not both?

wacklemore sucks & is stupid

January 28th, 2014

Without Lewis he wouldn’t be here, vise versa with Lewis. They need each other to succeed.

January 28th, 2014

OP forgot that this is on the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNZkN7k-7qg

January 28th, 2014

its funny how his fans always post that one white privilege song like idgaf nigga

the point is he dont got bars. he has only one flow and isnt crisp.. goes offbeat wayyyy to often for a rapper. His delivery what makes ppl label him as corny.

He tries to pull emotion and meaning out of nothing and niggas know this gimmick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjB6S2xpp04

he always has the beat drop out so he can say a sentence he feels is important some shit. Relies too much on gimmicks. as a rapper this nigga aint talented.

its why ppl and he himself knows he doesnt deserve all the plays and awards

January 28th, 2014

@Quikstik

Getting exhausted these last few days but

Well, the title is stupid, but the OP is 100% accurate.

@DiMES

Find me another song by a white rapper acknowledging and discussing white privilege in the hip-hop community. You won’t. That’s why it’s an important song. He says, “We still owe ‘em 40 acres/Now we’re stealin’ their 16 bars.” You find one other white rapper that’s that honest.

Conversations over Macklemore go like this:

HATER: gawd macklemore on some shit look at him benefiting from white privilege stealing from blacks what a cac

FAN: ACTUALLY he’s very aware of white privilege and while he’s not going to turn down success in his career, thinks pretty intently about these things, pretty conscious, really

HATER: (pause) whatever nikka IDGAF

I do NOT just post one song. I post several. I do post “White Privilege,” but I also post “A Wake,” probably the best song on race in America after Trayvon Martin; I post “Irish Celebration,” showing that Macklemore is not just a “white saviour,” because he talks about his own culture and its history of oppression, too; I post “Otherside,” the best song about drug addiction in the hip-hop community

It’s just so forced, people are made up in their minds to see him as the poster boy for cultural appropriation. It’s 2014. The fact is that a thirty-year-olfd white man could have been born and raised steeped in hip-hop culture. Like it, love it, hate it, hip-hop is not just black music anymore. The Beastie Boys. Eminem. Lyor Cohen. Rick Rubin. Aesop Rock.

You Americans really need to chill out about race

Come to Canada

We got black rappers like K-OS, white rappers like Classified, aboriginal rappers like Winnipeg’s Most, we literally have a five-piece rap collective that raps in Hebrew, Arabic, French, English, etc.

I’m gonna go make a thread about it

Peace

January 28th, 2014

Ok, I like Macklemore… even tho I don’t really listen to him because I think he’s a good guy and shit and really has a message. I’d be the first to say that he deserved something… buuuut

BEST RAP ALBUM??????

HOLY SHIT!

That’s like giving Vanilla Ice Best rap album over Wu-Tang GTFO

Yea, maybe it was a good album to the critics but that shit could barely be considered hiphop or rap especially since Kendrick’s shit is practically the heart and soul of modern day hiphop and rap.

FUCK the GRANNIES

That shit whack as fuck

January 28th, 2014

Yeah, but without those singles, he wouldn’t have blown up to the degree that he has and he definitely wouldn’t be a Grammy nominee (which, at least in terms of Rap music, has always been a record sales/popularity contest).

As far as White Rappers talking about “White Privilege”, 3rd Bass were doing that shit years ago.

January 28th, 2014

All of them songs actually made sense except Thrift Shop.

January 28th, 2014