Why you have to respect Jay-Z, even if you don’t like him

For better or worse, Jay-Z is the David Stern of Hip Hop. Many people say he “ruined” mainstream hip hop with his formulaic rhymes but ponder this…

Without Jay-Z, what would’ve happened to rap?

Hov is responsible for

• Hip Hop being taken seriously as a global art form

• Having Hip Hop become a top selling genre

• Showing aspiring rappers “the blueprint” to achieving mainstream success

• Toning down the amount of “murder” in mainstream hip hop lyrics and replacing it with partying

• Making rappers-running-their-own-labels a “trend"

• Preventing Hip Hop from dying

Let me elaborate on that last point. Tupac was the king of Hip Hop until his death. To make this comparison, you must understand that Pac was the Jimi Hendrix of rap. Both were highly influential and original artists that revolutionized their genres and the way their instruments could be played. Once Hendrix died, rock didn’t try to achieve what Hendrix was trying to do until Metal Machine Music, which was basically a full length expansion of …And the Gods Made Love. Metal Machine Music came out in 1975 and by that time rock, which started out as the rebellious voice of the (young) people, became a corporate, radio controlled joke that was only promoting songs that would sound good in arenas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmELf8DJAVY

Now what does this have to do with rap? Think back to after Pac’s death. Who was the next big mainstream rapper after Pac besides Jay Z?

That’s right, Ja Rule.

So if Jay hadn’t spread his influence and inspired Em and 50, Ja could’ve been the shit for a while.

Now after ALL THAT being said, I think Hov needs to do an album that truly displays his talents then he needs to leave; there’s NO reason for him to still be putting out subpar shit. He doesn’t even need to go back to the crack rap of RD, he could go conscious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joS3wXzsvLU

February 5th, 2014

Holdin it down for the witnesses!

February 5th, 2014

I’m practically peeing myself cuz you posted MR! I’ve never seen anyone else even mention it before and I drop it in every thread I can cuz it’s brilliant and poetic and has some next level writing and emotional delivery and a beat thats hard and somber at the same time and I can go on for days about it

February 5th, 2014

Though you forgot about DMX. Murder Inc!

February 5th, 2014

Not really buying this, dude’s always seemed like a trendhopper to me. He’s very good, but not all that influential

February 5th, 2014
February 5th, 2014
TwoTecs's photo

I respect Jay Z but you exaggerated this.

February 5th, 2014
Vesuvius's photo

@tryintoknockupRashidaJones What about LZIV, or Layla And Other Love Songs? I think they’re closer to “what Hendrix was trying to achieve” than MMM.

February 5th, 2014

@TwoTecs If there was no Jay there would have been someone else but there is no lack of proof that Jay did all of that. He still deserves his credit

February 5th, 2014
bbleachh's photo

Jay Z and Beyonce are music’s first ever billionaire couple.

Think about that.

February 5th, 2014
TwoTecs's photo

@Jay-Hovas_Witness He was played his part but he didnt single-handedly do all that. Biggie was still there after Pac(atleast for one year). Plus the work he released between 1997-1999 isnt his best work either. Plus it was Jay who helped Ja get prominence. Ja’s first album was released in 1999, same year as the Slim Shady LP and Chronic 2001 which are both classics. Of course he has done a lot for Hip-Hop but not all that this thread says. How did stop Hip-Hop from dying if it wasnt even dying? People had been selling millions of albums before him. The murder point is invalid because that is not really a good or bad thing andin 1999 we all know what happened. Dre, Snoop, Pac, Biggie already had gone mainstream. He sure helped Hip-Hop get taken seriously but he wasnt alone in that.Again like I said I respect Jay but this thread exaggerates his achievements.

February 5th, 2014
TwoTecs's photo

@bbleachh Ok but what does that prove? Plus all of that money wasnt even made from music, think about that.

February 5th, 2014

I respect Jay-z because he has 3 legit classics

February 5th, 2014

What other nigga do you know is a lyrical savant and remembers all his shit without having to write it down? NO ONE, Hov is a legend, he’s not just “Great” his rapping has been generally consistent since RD

@Jay-Hovas_Witness BUMP

February 5th, 2014

Hip Hop was taken seriously as a global artform before Jay. It was the albums in 93-95 that made people see Hip-Hop as poetry and not just talking on a beat

February 6th, 2014