Is multisyllabic rhyming a talent?

When a rapper can put together complex rhymes that involve rhyming numerous syllables (ex. eminem, tech n9ne) do you like it? I mean does it add to the experience for ya’ll? Cuz I notice a lot of rappers that people seem to treat like gods don’t do that too much, like Kendrick Lamar.

i think it takes more skill to rhyme Ovulating with Stop debating with Job Ms Cheney with Complicating (quote from eminem’s Without Me by the off chance you didn’t know), than skill it takes to rhyme lane and cocaine (from maad city).

Not hating on kendrick or any rappers that dont use multiple syllable rhymes every bar, just wondering if anyone else marvels at rappers that do.

February 6th, 2014
Ace23's photo

Kendrick uses a lot of multis.

February 6th, 2014

@Ace23 it’s not exactly one of his defining traits however.

February 6th, 2014

Its not a talent. It is a skill

February 6th, 2014
BlackPhan's photo

Of course it is.

February 6th, 2014

@zealsham’s got it

February 6th, 2014
J Trauma's photo

i think so, depending on how it sounds it can be mind-blowing

February 6th, 2014
OViea91's photo

All I do is multis… comes naturally for me… the problem is dumbing down the lyrics and putting more heart into it.

I think it depends on the person, when it comes to what they need to work on. But at the end of the day, I believe people like who they can relate to the most and who inspires them over who impresses them with complex lyrics.

February 6th, 2014

Multis inspiration right here for this round
http://youtu.be/fb4vo2F88HM?t=11m55s

February 6th, 2014

Who cares about multis with lines like this

“Hope euphoria can slow dance with society”

The personification in that line trumps generic lyrical miracle spirituals.

February 7th, 2014

implying multis is the most important part of a rap song

February 7th, 2014
Cabose's photo

I think they can be pretty impressive. In this old Eminem freeverse he throws out 13, 3 sylablle multis, all with the same base vowels. It blew my mind the first time I heard it.

February 7th, 2014
Hellblazer's photo

@DanSolomon

nobody implied that in this whole thread tbh

February 7th, 2014

I know it might sound crazy and I am ready for thumbs down.

But knowing rap is essentially defined as rhymed rhythmic speech ,would it not be illogical to consider intricacy in rhymes not a skill,knowing we consider rapping a skill?

February 7th, 2014

If Tech N9ne didnt do multis I probly wouldntve been as a big of a fan of him as I am now. I think if you can pull it off whilst making it make sense, then you are extremely talented.

February 7th, 2014