Why don't non-rap fans realize the upside of rap?

And this is coming from a Journalism major. Rap is English, it’s manipulating and utilizing the English language to convey a message. Usually the rap haters use the cliche “ It’s all about their money and their bitches” or “its trash and its degrading to women( yeah sure some of it is, but not all). Think about all the things you could hear in 2 or 3 rap verses( assuming its a good rapper).
-onomatopoeia
– metaphors
-similes
-idioms
-analogies
-assonance
-alliteration
-allusion
-overall clever wordplay.
-etc
I heard, I forget where I read it but I’m sure I can find it again some British writer called "Stan” a great piece of English verse. I don’t see 1 Direction, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, etc doing that shit. GTFO Rap is complex( of course one has to make it complex first). When some radio poppy shit artist writes Stan 2 let me know. Rap is art.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2011-02-04-eminembard04_ST_N.htm

February 19th, 2014
twrocks's photo

Hip Hop takes more effort to create than a lot of genres. It takes a lot of skill to write raps.

February 19th, 2014

hip hop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

February 19th, 2014

@twrocks exactly, I don’t see Maroon 5 writing rap god, that would require thought. Sorry I keep using Eminem examples but hey, it works,

February 19th, 2014

The people who grew up without rap being the most popular genre see it as trash, and just a bunch of loud noises and shouting. (A majority of people who don’t approve of rap)

They’ll never take the time to listen to it, and I think that’s why a lot of non-listeners dislike rap.

February 19th, 2014
Dillinger's photo

Hip Hop takes more effort to create than a lot of genres.

Why don’t non-rap fans realize the upside of rap?

When you stop dismissing the existence of lyricist outside of rap

February 19th, 2014

@twrocks What genres take less effort than Hip-Hop? I’m genuinely curious.

And mainstream rap(with low level lyricism/high quality beats) is more commercial and more popular than a lot of talented rappers. It could cause oblivious people to think that Hip-Hop is nothing more than just trap songs.

February 19th, 2014

Now I’m not saying that EVERYTHING outside of rap is awful, but I just think rap takes the most skill.

February 19th, 2014
twrocks's photo

@Dillinger at what point did I dismiss other genres? I said hip hop requires more effort to write than a lot of genres. At no point did I say hip hop is the only genre that has good lyrics.

February 19th, 2014

You have to write in most genres(that i listen to). not just rap lol.

February 19th, 2014

@MrSplashman Country music takes little to no effort
You need
-a God reference( not that there’s anything wrong with religion)
-a truck reference
-a reference to a Southern state
-a beer brand shoutout
-talking about your dog

BOOM country song made

February 19th, 2014
Dillinger's photo

I said hip hop requires more effort to write than a lot of genres

How such a blunt generalization not a degradation of other genres?

February 19th, 2014
twrocks's photo

@Dillinger I said hip hop requires more skill. I did not say it takes no skill to write music in other genres?

February 19th, 2014

@ChicagoFan Hahaha, the country thing made me laugh and can’t argue with that.

But…rap does not take the most skill. You can think of writing lyrics as a talent just the same as being able to sing good is a talent. A rap song primarily requires a rapper and a producer. The skills required are being able to write good lyrics and obviously good production skill. To create a Rock song(performed not just produced) you usually need a a singer, a drummer, several guitarists, often a piano player and sometimes a DJ/Sampler(like Joe Hahn in Linkin Park).

Rap music is an art just like other music and it definitely takes quite some skill but there’s no way it takes more skill than all other genres.

Sorry for the essay. :P

February 19th, 2014
Dillinger's photo

I said hip hop requires more skill.

You are implying
Rap> every other genre
without providing any proof for your claim

How’s such a blunt generalization not a degradation of other genres?

February 19th, 2014