Help me with these Rap terminologies.

AdiSam's photo

Okay I am Indian, not the red Indian Indian, but from the country India, and I am new to rap. Here I go around forums and have come across these terms that I don’t understand.

SHIT: It is used for really good songs. But doesn’t SHIT mean crap? Kind of contradictory.
ILL/SICK: Again used for good rappers/rhymes. But how could being sick/ill mean good or taken as compliment. I get freakin ill, hell it is not good.

SWAG: Okay, probably one of the most used word in rap. What does it mean? I know yall have SWAG, but what is it like, having a the swag??

February 28th, 2014
Bviley's photo

faggot=you

February 28th, 2014
AdiSam's photo

@Bviley I see you got the swag. Keep working on it, you’ll get better!

February 28th, 2014
February 28th, 2014

yea probably

February 28th, 2014
Bviley's photo

February 28th, 2014
AdiSam's photo

@Bviley Dude you downvoted me twice. That should go well with your Swagger. Keep working

February 28th, 2014

February 28th, 2014
Nimpeo's photo

@The_Midget
Why would you link to a website filled with young lonely teens who hate on the term?

February 28th, 2014
Leverag's photo

American English has a lot of words that can be used as just placeholder words.

“Shit” is just like saying “stuff” in the context of “my shit is better than all yours."
You can also say that something is "the shit,” which means it’s awesome.
Just don’t go saying it in casual conversation with someone you don’t know, it’ll probably come off as rude.

“Sick” works pretty much the same way, just saying that something is awesome. Just any other slang.

Swag is like the overall aura about someone; if you would say someone looks “cool”, they have swag.

February 28th, 2014
Xsyl's photo

lol I know that feel (am Indian too), I understood the context as I listened to more rap. And you’re on RG man, reading the annotations will clear up the confusion most times.
@Leverag is on point tho

February 28th, 2014

@Nimpeo Because I have swag

February 28th, 2014
AdiSam's photo

@Bviley Another downvote: Now you increase your level. You are a register SFAG. Congrats. Keep on filling that SFAG meter.

March 1st, 2014
Bviley's photo

@AdiSam mud freelancer?

March 1st, 2014