Will Hip-Hop ever achieve its Golden Era quality again?

The most common thing you hear about when you talk with your friends or read on-line when you discuss hip-hop is that its lost its way. People always say back in the days there was something in hip-hop for everybody and that both the lyrics and the beats had to be ill for a record to stand a chance. Not to mention the fact that rappers actually had to live what they rapped about in their rhymes. So the question is with the dominance of the internet and mixtapes that are constantly flooding the culture almost everyday will there ever be a hip-hop scene that was as diverse and creative as there was in the Golden Era of Hip-Hop.

May 26th, 2012

I really don’t like most of the shit from the golden era of rap,same with rock and roll.I’m sure it sounded fresh as hell if you were young when it came out.Majority of it sounds dated as hell.

Not to mention the fact that rappers actually had to live what they rapped about in their rhymes.

Jay-z is no longer a dope dealer his a business man
Eminem is not a killer his just a dad
Tyler isn’t a rapist his just a nerd who had trouble with girls when he was younger.
RZA is not some wizard mad scientist he just used a lot of pcp
Rick Ross

I don’t really have a problem with it ,that shit is just fine

May 26th, 2012

not if it stays how it is now….but the world reflects the game to certain extent, just look at kids these days…u can’t tell them no or that something is bad, everyone gets a trophy type crap…so we deal with weirdos like kanye west and tyler the creator getting away with shit

america would have to do a complete 180 to get the countries realness back for rap to reflect that

May 26th, 2012
CLOUDS's photo

Golden Era was good, but not the best. The late 80s and first half of the 90s were hip-hop’s best years. Public Enemy, the Tribe, Native Tongues, Wu-Tang, Nas…

May 26th, 2012

@A094H2… isnt the late 80’s and early nineties the Golden Era of hip hop???

May 26th, 2012

@SvenTheImmortal What I meant by that statement is that people’s pasts had to check out from them to be rapping about it. Its clear that Eminem is not a killer and if you listen to Criminal on the Marshall Mathers LP he says himself that he doesn’t believe in all the crazy shit he says. Back to the point Rick Ross with his past as C.O may have not survived in the times of the Wu-Tang,Big Pun and others. Its like me being a university student(which I am) coming up to you and being like yo I move weight, I killed like three or four people last night. It just is not believable and hence less dope, but in these modern times that doesn’t matter as long as the music is good.

May 26th, 2012

There’s more good hip-hop now then there ever was in the “golden age.”

Fuck nostalgia.

May 27th, 2012

I agree 100% with “Fuck nostalgia”, but it’s fucking asinine to say there’s more good hip hop now. Everything today is just bitten from the golden era.

May 27th, 2012
TheLegion's photo

Probaly,maybe not now but one day. Hip-hop is just so popular,everybody’s rapping.

May 27th, 2012
CLOUDS's photo

@K45H1F No, generally Golden Age is the 80s. By late 80s I meant the last year or two. Early 90s was sort of a transition to the whole mafioso rap genre.

May 27th, 2012

The thing is which of hits that are getting the most airplay today will be remembered a couple of months from now, forget years from now and going down as classics.Only a short handful while back then you could sit and chose which particular hit you wanted from different styles of hip-hop. If you were a more chilled out person there was Tribe and De La Soul(among others) for you. If you wanted that hardcore shit there was DMX,Juvenile, etc. Don’t get it twisted I still play and enjoy the songs that come on now but I cant shake the feeling that we as the listeners are being conditioned to follow ONE sound. And if a song or an artist doesn’t fit that sound then its most likely off to the underground.

May 27th, 2012
TheLegion's photo

^What he said
To me new rappers aren’t trying to be different .They try to be mainstream and copy what already works.For example alot of Mc’s use autotune.One my friend made me listen to Asap Rock and I didn’t find he had something different from some rappers maybe lyrically but not with his flow and delivery.

May 27th, 2012

People are discussing different eras as being the “Golden Era”.

I don’t think many people thoroughly enjoy the rap music when it was heavily rock based (Run DMC, Public Enemy, Criminal Minded, etc.), so lumping that in with the early-mid 90s like Chronic, Illmatic, etc. ruins the debate.

Perhaps clarify what you mean by Golden Era. If you really do mean the 90s, then I personally don’t think it would get better. I’ve never been able to really get into the music after the 2000’s other than a few songs/albums. Most the music I enjoy is from the 90s, and I didn’t even listen to it when it actually came out. I don’t really think it’s the quality that’s changed either, I just think the type of beats and lyrics that were used back then are a bit more enjoyable than they are now.

May 27th, 2012

@rebelwithoutapause That is a valid point, what I mean by Golden Era is from the late 80’s all through 90’s until lets say until late 2005. Basically I felt that Hip-hop started to going into decline since then. However even if some people didn’t enjoy some of the more rock based hip-hop tracks the groups that you mentioned still had classic songs in that time period, RUN DMC-“Down With the King” 1993, Public Enemy- “Rebel Without A Pause” lol therefore they still fall into that era.

May 27th, 2012
1fp1's photo

People always see the past as the golden era and then they start to hate on today’s shit. It wouldn’t surprise me if in 10-20 years, people will say they wish they had drake’s type of music today.

May 27th, 2012