Personal Success vs. Friendship

I have a friend. He tries his best with rapping, but he’s just……. I hate to say this, but he’s not good. I have given him advice on improving, but he seems to want me to basically coach him, because he’s passionate for music and wants to improve. I, on the other hand, have no time to coach him, because I’m trying to get myself better, release a mixtape, produce for several artists, network with artists, and go to school on top of that. He knows that, but I don’t want to let the guy down, because he’s my friend.

Has anybody been through this before? Any advice?

August 5th, 2012
Bill-Finn's photo

You gotta do your own thing

“Friends understand that you are put on this earth for yourself and what’s best for you, and if you don’t respect that and acknowledge this, you are not a true friend.”

August 5th, 2012

August 5th, 2012
zexon's photo

August 5th, 2012

@Bill_Flinn preciate that. I stil kinda feel bad about it though.

August 5th, 2012
Bill-Finn's photo

Maybe he needs you to deny him, to motivate him to do the work himself.. he can’t always rely on other people

August 5th, 2012
Garginator's photo

I’d just tell him straight up bruh, “maybe rapping isn’t for you man”. .

August 5th, 2012
AngelEyes's photo

Make a song about that

August 5th, 2012

Idk if I can just straight up tell him, since he’s passionate…. a song would suffice though.

August 5th, 2012
ScopeY's photo

You know, a true friend will tell his friend the truth. If I had a friend who was a terrible singer but believed he was good, I wouldn’t support him when he’s deciding to go to Idol/X-Factor. That would make him look like a fool infront of a lot of people.

Some people just aren’t cut out for rapping, and you should tell him that. That way he won’t waste a lot of time doing something he won’t succeed at and rather chase after something that he could actually pull off.

August 5th, 2012

Friends don’t let Friends rap wack.

Tell him to post his shit here. We’ll get em

August 5th, 2012

Disclaimer: I Am not a pro or skilled at this

Maybe you guys should hang around cyphers together? Try battle rapping each other and other locals.

Maybe suggest to him to instead of focus on writing by literally writing, instead read more advanced literature, learn about the common problems in the world. You’d be surprised at how many quality artists have education equivalent to a 4 year college graduate.

How about tell him to expand his listening library, listen to old listen to new, listen to the fad songs, listen to the unheralded songs, listen to east, west, north, south, listen to gangster, political, trap, club, etc.

Just take a cruise through his city, taking mental notes on what he sees. Instead of writing lyrics, just keep a journal and a “thought book” where every time a thought or line comes into his head just write it down and come back to it at a later date.

August 5th, 2012

I’m still not sure about telling the man he sucks, but I appreciate the advice guys. Thank you very much.

August 6th, 2012
Flyver's photo

if hes that passionate, he’ll work day and night to prove you wrong

August 6th, 2012
Sr15's photo

Well just make it big then put him on like 50 cent did with yayo. Cuz we all know Yayo is trash

August 6th, 2012